Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Ducks are out Geese are in!!

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Thndrstck, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Thndrstck

Thndrstck Senior Refuge Member

Well since I can't shoot at ducks and it looks like the population is in a downward trend I'm ready to give the ducks a little rest and work on some sky carp. There are most likely somewhere in the neighborhood of 100,000 on or around my farm right now.

What I need to know is how do you hunt the silly things other than sneaking on them. Sneaking is getting harder to do in my area and I need something to take my mind off the ducks.

Oh yeah I live in Arkansas. Grand Praire area.

I was looking at goose decoys at a couple of different places and like to have **** when I saw the prices. I figure you would need a couple hundred and for that you're talking $1000 plus. Wow I thought duck and turkey hunting was bad.

Will anybody give me some pointers. I'd really appreciate it.

2. H2O_Tech

H2O_Tech Senior Refuge Member

Well, I sure pity your situation!

Lot's of ways to decoy them and from my end of the tailgate, if you have a crap load of geese and little to no pressure (decoy wise) I'd get after them with a smaller spread (2-3 dozen) of quality decoys with another 2-3 dozen windsocks. Nothing wrong with the carry lite 1-piece economy shells. Those socks with the silo head on the forum look intriguing as windsocks.

Whatever you get, scouting will be your biggest return on your investment. If the white hordes are feeding in one or two huge grinds, well, get in the same field cover up and hope 200,000 eyeballs don't call you out. If they are feeding in smaller groups all over an area, try to locate in the middle, preferably in a field they've been using, and along the upwind path.

Wind will be your biggest friend.

Don't let the SOBs make one more pass like your green heads, if you have killable birds, take the shot.

Good luck.

3. Thndrstck

Well I'm starting to get this thing together. First I guess i need a call. Am I going to be able to do this myself or am I **** out of luck trying to call by myself? Pressure in my area is nill on geese, but will most likely pick up. I think I know of one other person who is trying to decoy.

Second I've got to figure out how many and what kind of decoys. I've looked at alot. I'm definitly going to get some farm forms and maybe some last looks. They're cheap and look durable enough. If I'm wrong someone speak up. I saw some Hard core decoys. They look good but do you need to go to that extreme. H2O you said to mix it up but I don't have that kind of cash right now. What about those Texas rags or even trash bags. Like I said there's no pressure at all as far as decoys are concerned in my area. Everybody just sneaks on them or gets opportunity in the duck blind. Anyway.

Third, how do I hide me. I'm not going to spend no 200 bucks on a blind just to find out that this crap ain't gonna work or I don't like it. Is there something easy I can do to start with?

Fourth. H20 you said get upwind of them if they are scattered. Okay. What usually takes place around here is they stay in an area for a couple of days field hopping around. What I figured was to get in the general area or in a field they have been in and are coming back to every morning, like my wheat field. Get there early and get set up and see what happens. If I need to I'll talk someone into going and getting the things to move.

Any comments, questions, or insight is greatly appreciated.

4. Decoyer

Decoyer Senior Refuge Member

If you have wind down there in Arky, then go with windsocks hands down. Movement is key with snow geese.

5. H2O_Tech

H2O_Tech Senior Refuge Member

Forgot about the call. Sure, get one and make some racket. HUnting with low pressure makes me think that the geese will be gabbier than if there is a ton of pressure. SOmetimes them SOBs will come into the decoys stone-dead quiet and in my experience the odds are in their favor if they are silent. I like the Haydel snow calls.

SOunds like the birds are not boring into one field and are spread out with a lot of field hopping. Get in the middle of where they are working and set up.

The TX rags are the smallest investment, but you have to either buy them preassembled or spend the time. Personally, I'd get 3 dozen windsocks for starters. if the wind is moving above 5 mph, you won't be hurting with only 36 decoys in an area the geese are using. Those sock-silo hybrids on this forum "seem" to be a good starter, especially at $36/dz.

For concealment with a small spread, I try to look like the ground and hide amongst a clump of decoys. A set of white coveralls or white jackeet with camo pants is sort of the norm for snows, but I think with a smaller set of decoys you stand out more than when you have 1000 white decoys. A face mask is a must.

If you get in a situation where you ahve geese feeding to both sides of you, say 1/4-1/2 apart with you in the middle with a small set, the best thing you can do is to stay down. You'll probably get some small groups jumping between fields that may not decoy right in, but will cruise over you. Whack em and stay down. The folcks will probably get airborne but will settle back down. That is, unless you jump and go running after a dead goose.

6. Decoyer

Decoyer Senior Refuge Member

If you can afford it, get a layout blind. Once you hunt out of them, you will never go back to laying on the ground.

7. JEDJR

JEDJR Elite Refuge Member

Once you get those geese in your blood, you will leave those ducks alone. Thats what I tell all my buddies that duck hunt and raise hell when there aint no birds, you can always depend on the geese being here every year!!

8. Thndrstck

Oh what a day. Started out duck hunting, two divers. Then the geese started trying to sample the wheat. Had a strong south wind blowing so I got far enough north of the big flock that I wouldn't spook them when I shot, about 250 yards, and picked off the stragglers.

9. Shedhead

Shedhead Elite Refuge Member

1-If your looking for something that's easy snow goosing hunting is not for you, snows are the tough to decoy, and they get more pressure here at home than you may think.

2-I would hunt start with no less than 700 decoys, then build to 1500.

3-I would look at Northwind Econo Socks, If that's too much go all texas rags, but put 'em stakes and seal the bottoms like socks.

4-Hunting snows takes help, I would find 2 or 3 others that would like to share the expense, labor and scouting.

5-If you have never tried I would find someone to go with before you jump in "head first" just to see what it's all about.

6-There will be days you can do no wrong and days you can't get a bird to look, but when everything works just right there is absolutely nothing like it.

SHED

10. NWS

NWS Refuge Member

Thndrstck check your PM's.