Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Ducks are out Geese are in!!

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Thndrstck, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Gaudi

Gaudi Elite Refuge Member

If there are so many around and they have no pressure, I have the equipment, drop me a pm

2. Hoot

Hoot Senior Refuge Member

One thing that i have not heard anyone on here say is hunt over water! I have had the best luck decoying snows over water, if you can find a field with some water or a small pond in the middle of it, numbers of decoys do not matter with water, quality does, get a couple dozen floaters, and a couple dozen land decoys. I like the higdon stackable full bodies, www.customnorthwinds.com , and hard cores, but they are a little pricey.
    you can also call jim jones, he sells kits with all the materials to make your own decoys, all you gotta do is sew them up, buy his stencils and he tells you which paint to buy from wal-mart, its a cost-effective, although time consuming, way to build up your field spread, but they work!

If I were a bettin man, i would say with 3-4 dozen quality decoys, and some standing water in a field, you will decoy snows. Check your regs for your late snow season, an e-caller will help out a lot with the calling. but i still like to blow a call when birds are right over me while the e-call is playing too

Like a few others have said, once you get a few hundred snows squakin and comin into your dekes, or even a small flock with their feet down, theres nothin else like it, you will soon be finding ways to justify that 1k dollars worth of decoys!!

Hope I helped a little, let us know how you do. If you have any other questions, pm me and ill give you my number. Im not a professional by any means, but ive got some tricks to the trade

Tom

3. pull-do

pull-do Elite Refuge Member

Been more geese shot over Texas windsocks than anything else, but I like the "new" sillosocks that are just now being made. The movement is very life like, which I think is the key. I agree with Hoot, for a variety "if " you can find a pond that is near geese feeding, like the ones I have seen with pit blinds nearby, you can put out about a dozen to dozen and a half snow floaters, along with a few duck decoys to the side and maybe a few dark geese floaters, if there is any dark geese in the area, and a couple of stand up snows beside the pit blind. I have had real in your face decoying with this set up. The main thing was being able to hide from the birds with the sun at my back. Also if you can learn to mouth call the snow yelp, there is nothing out there that gets a better response in my opinion. My problem is as I approach 60 yrs. old, I am loosing my ability to "push" the air out, so I am having to look for a call. But if you are a young man, mouth calling is very easy, I have taught a lot of young men to do this, it works.

pull-do

4. Hoot

Hoot Senior Refuge Member

Pull-do, thanks for that, i forgot all about it......

it works extremely well especially on loners or small groups of snows!

Tom

5. JPKwacknyak

JPKwacknyak Senior Refuge Member

Mouth Call? New to the game, can someone please explain how this is done.

6. TOYE

TOYE Elite Refuge Member

Mouth calling is produced from you own voice. I make the sounds AAAWWW verying the pitch to make it sound like differnent geese and sounds. Extremely effective but not everybody can do it. I've tried to teach my buddies but some guys just don't have the voice for it. It is also extremely hard on your throat and after 3 days of hard hunting, I can barely talk.

7. JPKwacknyak

JPKwacknyak Senior Refuge Member

Thanks, I guess it's one of those things that I need to hear. :)

8. seal

seal Elite Refuge Member

I must be one of the odd ones.:nutz I have had some pretty good goose hunting in my life but I would rather chase ducks:rolleyes: But I am kinda lazy and dont like all the work involved in goose hunting........you cant drive out into many fields around here so you get to pack all that crap:eek: