Ducks imprinting on flooded corn

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by 8UP4 FOWL, Feb 1, 2013.

1. 8UP4 FOWL

8UP4 FOWL Senior Refuge Member

This was the first year we were able to set up our duck hole to have flooded corn. Unfortunately, the weather didn't cooperate, and with no rain, we had corn, but no water. That all changed with the recent rains and now that duck season is over, we have some nice flooded corn, and lots of happy fat ducks. My question is, do ducks imprint on a place like that where they can get free food and be unmolested? Just wondering how likely it is for some of these same ducks to return next year based on the handouts we gave them this year.

Thanks,

2. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Good question ! I have no idea but am interested in what the brain trust can contribute.

3. kdog

kdog Elite Refuge Member

If you have the same field next ..i wouldnt hunt it or if you do very sporadically
    Let them imprint heading south ......ducks are funny ....they may not hit the same fields heading north than they do traveling south

4. 8UP4 FOWL

8UP4 FOWL Senior Refuge Member

Curious, but do you think the ducks using it now are headed north already. I kind of thought they were still coming south now, but I could be wrong.

5. dux'nfins

dux'nfins Senior Refuge Member

Our place has been in operation for over 50 years.We always have food for the waterfowl after the season,and hold a good number of birds until migration occurs in late winter/early spring.For a while the state wildlife guys were allowed to do some banding there,and on occasion,we would take a bird with a band identifying it as our location.Not so in recent years,but I think that demonstrates that there is something to the imprinting theory.

6. KAWHUNTER

KAWHUNTER Senior Refuge Member

I don't know about ducks and fields but a friend of mine at work has had a pond full of geese for years since his dad thought it would be neat to bait it with corn so he could watch the geese from his house. Wasn't so neat the past couple of years when every goose in the county decided to stop by since nobody hunted it and they destroyed his lawn and left goose land mines everywhere.

7. da fowl slayer

da fowl slayer Elite Refuge Member

Yes they will imprint. In west ky and tn there are guys settiing up flooded corn and other impoundments and they don't hunt it for like 5 yrs. the ducks definitely come back.
    Lots of people flying on corn these days as well

8. MALLARD MAGICIAN

MALLARD MAGICIAN Elite Refuge Member

It may not help..... but it certainly isn't going to hurt.

9. no harm-no fowl

no harm-no fowl Senior Refuge Member

I've never heard anythig so stupid in my life. If you have a flooded corn field in the area and there are ducks in the area, they will use it. No imprinting needed. I had a corn field this year and it was the first time there was any kind of crop planted there. I had thousands of ducks using it. What you want is the field to be flooded for a while before you are going to hunt it. That way the ducks that are going to use it, and get use to using it. Then you want to only shoot it every 3rd or 4th day. If you shoot it out, it will not be a good producer all season long.

You might think about putting a well in. Depends on if you have the use of the land for a long time or not. If you can wrap it up for 10 or more years, a well maybe an option. They cost on average about 3000 to put in. Spread that out over 10 years, not so bad.

Remember the old addage: Build it and they will come.

10. cam

cam Elite Refuge Member

a well for 3000:confused: more like 20000