Ducks imprinting on flooded corn

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by 8UP4 FOWL, Feb 1, 2013.

1. RNTquackaholic

RNTquackaholic Elite Refuge Member

Not sure what kinda well your putting in for 3k? A hand pump. Your not even going to get a power unit to put on the gear head for that price, unless it's a very very small well. 20k plus for a good well down here.

2. da fowl slayer

da fowl slayer Elite Refuge Member

No harm no foul says
    "I've never heard anything so stupid in my life"

I admit you had my attention then You lost credibility when you said a well cost 3000:z. Thanks for your input though:yes

Show us some pics of your corn project and also some of the thousands that were using it and some pics of your successful hunts. I love seeing successful projects!

I will admit pressure has more to do with ducks staying and coming back than food. But properly managing both is the key to keeping ducks yr in and yr out

My farm was developed in the 90's but ducks had been using it forever. The ol timers say it always was the best hole around. Now I don't know if ducks imprint or not but we get mallards the same week every yr no matter the weather. They are migrating on time not weather. These ducks do not leave period. But we don't shoot em of our food EVER.. They get up fly everyday property line to property line but they will not cross the levies. It's like they hit a wall. Now pressure from the area causes that but with no food these ducks would leave. Heck there is 7 refuges within 20 miles that can't be hunted but because of the food we hold them.

Also our place gets better and better every yr so I can't believe there is only luck involved. There has to be some science behind it

3. dux'nfins

dux'nfins Senior Refuge Member

You tell him,Slayer!!:amen

4. 8UP4 FOWL

8UP4 FOWL Senior Refuge Member

Wow No Harm-No Fowl, I don't know how stupid I could have been to ask such a mindless question. If you could just send me your phone number, I will just call you from now on to answer any other stupid questions I may have. Thanks for clearing up the question I didn't have about if flooded corn attracts ducks.

5. Traxion

Traxion Elite Refuge Member

6. Fowlballer

Fowlballer Elite Refuge Member

I had a waterfowl biologist tell me the ducks don't follow the same path up as they they did down. He described it as a circle, the ducks that come down the Mississippi river go back up the western side of Missouri. I know this is purely speculation.

7. no harm-no fowl

no harm-no fowl Senior Refuge Member

Sorry I haven't been on here for a while, just saw the responces tonight. I will gladly post up some pics of my corn field and birds. I will admit that it has been a while since I've had a well put in. I could see where my costs were off a little. The last one I had put in cost $3000 to drill and and another 1500 for the electric pump. We didn't have to run the water far and were only flooding about 10 acres.

8UP4 FOWL, your question wasn't stupid. I was more refering to what the da fowl slayer posted:

"Yes they will imprint. In west ky and tn there are guys settiing up flooded corn and other impoundments and they don't hunt it for like 5 yrs. the ducks definitely come back. Lots of people flying on corn these days as well. "

What a waste of money, time, and resourses.

I will post up pics during the day today.

8. no harm-no fowl

no harm-no fowl Senior Refuge Member

Here is a link to youtube. It is a compolation of my season on the flooded corn. Tons of woodies and mallards. Later in the year, just mallards and a few geese. It never was flooded corn before. The actual water area is only about 4 to 5 acres. The farmer came in with a catipiller combinde and picked all the corn even thought the water was 18 inches deep.

Some of the footage is dark, if you look closely you will see big balls of birds flying around. Some pics and footage is out of sequence, but I think you will get the idea.

http://youtu.be/yfbYHIBH2Lc

9. Mslater

Mslater Refuge Member

Are you flooding this area by pumping water, blocking off a tile or is it just a low place that holds water occasionally?

10. Crow Creek

Crow Creek Refuge Member

No harm No Fowl; I'm curios to know how much of a change you saw in the ducks after the corn was picked. I assume they were roosting in the corn before it was cut, (the dark video looked like they were coming in late.)
    Did they come in during the day any better after it was cut?