Ducks imprinting on flooded corn

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by 8UP4 FOWL, Feb 1, 2013.

1. no harm-no fowl

no harm-no fowl Senior Refuge Member

The dark pictures were actually opening morning of the second split. I had not been to the spot for two weeks. I had no idea that they could combinde the corn with 18 to 24 inches of water in it, so it was a big surprize when I got there in the am and the corn was gone. I set up in the fence row and waited for first light. Having not been back to the spot and the corn being picked, I had no idea what, or if anything was using it.

About 20 min til shooting time, I had about 20 mallards pile in. They landed and swam off to one end out of range. I didn't want them there to pull off other birds, so I walked out and flushed them. I had to go out a ways to get them to fly. When I turned around to walk back to my hide, there were about 500 mallards about 50 yards up wanting to land. I had to clap my hands together to scare them away. They pulled up and made a big loop over the field. When they did, another flock of 500 or more showed up and also tryed to land with me standing out there. I stood there for about 15 min clapping my hands in the decoys so they wouldn't land. I took the footage while I was doing that. When it was shooting time, I ran to the hide and grabbed my gun.

The daylight footage of large flocks was a couple of days later in that week. I hunted it sun, wed, fri, and sun. The ducks worked from shooting time till ablout 1pm. We didn't shoot at any flocks over 30 birds (and there were lots of them.) We would let them work until they left on there own. About half way thru the season I went to the laydown blinds in the flooded corn. They got to where they didn't like to go near the fence line. We never hunted more than 2 people at a time, per-day. This way we were done and out of there, so the ducks could work back in. We always got our limit of 4 mallards, except at the very end . Not many "other" ducks around.

During the first split the place was covered up in woodies. After we got our mallards, we would fill our limits with woodies. That's what some of the footage is from, woodies dive bombing us in the standing corn. They would land 4 or 5 yards away from us, just outside the standing corn.

This place had never had crops on it in the last 15 years. They would plant up to within 5 yards of the edge of the water is all. We always would get one hunt out of it and the birds wouldn't come back. It's amazing what flooded corn will do.

2. Mslater

Mslater Refuge Member

I've been placing waste grain cleaned up from around our grain system near a wetland in our area. I was trying to possibly interest the ducks to use the area but the local geese have pretty much taken over. Corn was hands down the grain of choice. I was surprised that they really don't care for soybeans. They would eat them if it got really cold but would leave them lay if there was any other alternative. I thought that was interesting since one of our best goose seasons was in a field of double crop beans that a farmer chose not to harvest.

3. Clint

Clint Refuge Member

The price of a well can depend on what part of the country or state your in, I drilled wells in my previous occupation and we could drill someplaces 60 ft and have tons of water and other places 600 ft to get the same or less of a result. Obviously this will result in a varried price. But for some of the shallow wells used around here $3,000 without the pump isnt out of the ball park to far....

I know of places locally where they continue to feed the waterfowl (ducks mostly) after the season to cause the imprint factor for that property. Every year they have ducks when others dont, so is it imprinting or just a sweet looking flooded corn field I DONT KNOW???? Either way dont stop feeding them, haha :tu

4. 8UP4 FOWL

8UP4 FOWL Senior Refuge Member

No Harm-No Fowl, thanks for the clarification. My mistake for not understanding your first post. I though you were bashing my question. Thanks for posting up the video. It is exciting to see because it looks and sounds very similar to my situation. We've got about a 4 to 5 acre low area that can hold water by blocking off a drain pipe. Farmer planted corn through part of it this year for the first time and part is natural grasses. It was just such a dry year we couldn't get any water in it till after duck season was over. The ducks found it and put on a good show even though all we could do was watch. I was just looking for a silver lining that maybe the ducks using it will be more likely to come back next year if we can flood corn again. On a side noted, we priced a well and the quote we got was right about $3,000 for a 6-inch case. Drillers said that was big enough size to flood 4 or 5 acres. We are only a few hundred yards from the Mississippi River, so I don't think they would need to go too deep. Thanks for all the feedback guys.

5. Greenwinger

Greenwinger New Member

My first post here and please accept my apologies for plugging my company in this video. It certainly is not my intention. But I firmly believe ducks can be imprinted quite easily by providing food from the end of the season till the time they leave. Certainly there are birds that migrate up, stop for a bite then continue north. But many will stick around for a spell before "fueling up." Right now I am holding a few thousand ducks. In this video that I shot the other night, this particular pond is the first time it has ever been drained and planted. There is another pond on the farm that I planted first time too. And I have 2 more ponds being installed in the coming weeks. Without a doubt, these ducks will remember. All? perhaps not. But they do remember. I base this on other ponds I have planted for years. Enjoy the video and turn up the volume for the last 2 minutes. It was insane!

http://youtu.be/9ymLEYDgbEc

<

6. no harm-no fowl

no harm-no fowl Senior Refuge Member

If this is the first year that you planted how do you know that they are imprinting. Or that ducks even imprint at all. If you are in an area that a lot of duck pass though, how do you know that its just not ducks taking advantage of food. Using the imprinting theory, shouldn't there be just a few duck because they aren't use to feeding there. Or is it that a lot of ducks are in the area and they see some ducks using the area and wham, next thing you know the all the ducks are digging the food you left for them. All I'm saying is that ducks like flooded corn or easy food. If you got ducks in the area and you got flooded corn or other food that's easy to get, your going to have ducks feeding in it. Pretty hard to prove the imprinting theory. Where as you proved the idea of give'em food and they will come. You just can't Chase'em off for the first couple of weeks. That's why you want to flood up 3 to 4 weeks before the season. Good luck.

If you are going to plant that back to corn again this spring, you better get it drained soon so it will be dry enough to plant. We drain ours the next day after the seasons out. That way it will freeze and we can harvest what's left and get it dry enough to plant the following spring. Just say'in

7. Greenwinger

Greenwinger New Member

I am referring to my comment in my post....

"Without a doubt, these ducks will remember. All? perhaps not. But they do remember. I base this on other ponds I have planted for years"

I have been planting impoundment ponds for about 16 seasons and although there is no way to have a dead duck tell me it was there the year before, I am fairly confident there is more evidence they do remember where the food is, than not. I guess the answer could be to trap and band but even that would prove inconclusive. What I can say is that the ponds we have been planting for 10+ years provide amazing duck hunting year after year, consistently. While the ponds that we plant for customers that are either new ponds or ponds that just started in the planting rotation(like the one in the video), do not get much action till after hours or after the season. I strongly believe it takes a few years for birds to know what is available. And the pond in the video has circulators and the center stays open nicely, even during hard cold. Again, all after hours feeders or night time feeders. Here is a video of that pond in cold conditons:

Ice Eater 1

Ice Eater 2

As far as draining the ponds, we typically pull April 1. Those ponds only need a few weeks drying out and we can expedite it with light discing if need be. They have strong clay base and the soil is light loam. Typically we wont plant corn ponds till May 15, or there abouts.

8. da fowl slayer

da fowl slayer Elite Refuge Member

Look I am not gonna argue about it we can't ask ducks. I see people do it and I have watched holes man made be created that never had ducks left flooded unhunted for yrs and now they are unbelievable.

I could care less just people's opinions no harm no foul you manage your place how it best suits you

I am speaking from hands on experience on ground I do the improvements on. Not some place I get to hunt that someone else does the work on!

Good luck!!! I am gonna keep doing what works for us in two different flyways in two different regions of the country

But for a guy to say someone's comments are stupid and then not know what a well cost or how corn can be combined or to call the project his and that between his hunts the corn was combined uhhhh lets just say

Uhhh no I won't say it!!!! I'm gonna be nice!:dv

9. da fowl slayer

da fowl slayer Elite Refuge Member

And where I am just cause you plant corn don't mean you will kill ducks. Plenty of corn holes around us that don't kill !!!!!

Also I think there is a big difference in trying to kill 60/80 ducks a season and killing 30/50 every hunt!!

10. dux'nfins

dux'nfins Senior Refuge Member

If anyone is interested in an informed and authoritative discussion of the subject,they should read Albert Hochbaum's treatise on the theories of migration.