Alabama Flyway Forum Sponsors

Ducks show up

Discussion in 'Alabama Flyway Forum' started by Waterfowl fool, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Waterfowl fool

Waterfowl fool Elite Refuge Member

Not looking for specifics but I'm headed up from the sunshine stay fri-Sunday.

Haven't had squat for birds down here so we are headed up to meet a friend in the Albertsville area

Used to hunt wheeler years ago and will hit it at least once while there.

Just check on birds showing up w all the snow. Feel free to pm. Just looking for general yes or no on birds showing up. Thx

Sent on a small phone using fat fingers.... Forgive me!!

2. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Went to a local WMA north of Decatur Saturday. Heard some shooting, but some/most folks were just sky busting. Birds are around, but the WMAs have been hunted hard, and the locals are getting desperate, since birds have been few and far between with this weather. Safe travels, and I hope you get to shoot some. We are headed to Arkansas Wed night.

3. mrgadwall

mrgadwall Elite Refuge Member

However bad you think it is where you're from, it's worse here.

Our public water is now full of poo-faced idiots, running mud boats filled with long-lined diver decoys that are thrilled when they spend all day on the water to kill 4 ducks.

stevena198301 likes this.
  4. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

I hunt the other end of the state and no ducks have shown up at all. Like the above mentioned we are also overran with poo-faced idiots with 2k guns and 20k boats. Ive prayed for many years for an awful season like this to thin them out, but I now realize it's futile. I talked to one ol boy this past weekend who has hunted every weekend plus Christmas break and has killed 7 ducks total. This new generation of hunters doesn't even care if they kill anything, they just wanna hunt.

5. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Buddy talked to a guy in gander mountain whos "crew" had killed 11 ducks in 14 days. That included a stint in Arkansas... They said they are having a stellar year.

6. Plainsman04

Plainsman04 Senior Refuge Member

Seen a couple posts on the book of faces with "krewes" really "slaying" the ducks this year...and nothing but mergansers in the pics. 8 guys and they kill 3 hoodies and you'd think it was all limits of banded pintails. They don't even know it's not a duck! At least it's a good thing they got their "smoke pole" while riding with their "boyz" and stickered up yetis. They wouldn't know a real duck hunt if it hit em up side their little poo faces.

Sent from my rotary phone using Tapatalk