Ducks with a bow

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by Billy Bob, May 28, 2016.

1. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

How many of you guys have ever tried ducks or other small game with a bow? Did you have much success? If so, what type of arrows and heads did you use? I have been using Cabelas extreme flu flu arrows and G5 sgh heads and want to know if there are better options.

2. Blue-steel

Blue-steel Refuge Member

I've never bow hunted waterfowl but I seen Freddy King limit out on green heads with a bow on You-tube!

3. Billy Bob

So nobody here hunts small game with a bow?

4. PrairieDream'n

PrairieDream'n Senior Refuge Member

We've killed Swan and Geese but never tried ducks

5. Archeryrob

Archeryrob Elite Refuge Member

Used to, as a kid, use 9mm casings with small pieces fo electrical fish tape through them to act like a judo point. Used them on rabbits. It knocks the crap out of them and they flip up when hitting the ground.

Tried FluFlus in a pine forest one time for squirrels and quit when I lost three arrows. They flew up and laid sideways on the branches. :(

I'm a too busy and have too many hobbies to chase all small game now.

6. Archeryrob

Archeryrob Elite Refuge Member

Indians used to add pitch on arrows as a ball with a small point or sharpened stick and skipped the arrow right in front of the ducks to stick them while on the water. Not sure if that is legal where you are, its not legal in MD to shoot resting birds.

7. Billy Bob

I saw a video of that, really thinking of trying it. I shoot at birds however I can. I took several shots at birds in the air last year, the only bird I even came close to was a drake wigeon I knocked a few feathers off of. I plan on shooting arrows I got from 3 rivers archery, carbon fiber shafts but they call them traditional. :l I discovered that in the areas I bow hunt flu flu's are not needed because I have several hundred yards of open space and can see where the arrows land. Water is normally 6 inches deep and the arrows stick with the fletch's up so I can see them.

Thank you for your input.

8. Billy Bob

What sort of heads did you use on the geese? I assume broadheads. Shot in the air or on the ground?

9. PrairieDream'n

PrairieDream'n Senior Refuge Member

Broadheads, whatever cheap ones of the same grain you can find because you ruin so many... and in the air and on the ground.