dummy launcher, hand held or remote control?

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Teamjefe, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Teamjefe

Teamjefe Refuge Member

Now that duck season is almost over its time to start thinking about off season training. My "training assistant" has decided that she would rather sleep in than throw a dirty bumper or dead duck for our dog. Which type of launcher should I buy to help with our training sessions?

Would a hand held launcher be okay if I don't have an assistant? I don't mind spending the money for a remote one if thats what I need. Any reviews?

Thanks

2. jng22

jng22 New Member

Remote and at least 3 of them.

3. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I don't know what your goals are, but I've always been able to turn out pretty solid gundogs with nothing more than hand thrown bumpers and a hand-held Retrieve-R-Trainer. And my dogs have not had the issues some apparently have transferring our type of training to hunt test bird station setups.

4. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Start throwing marks yourself by doing "stand alone/send backs".

This is a photo of training alone using send backs and with the gunner/trainer moving from station to station as the dog marks/swims/retrieves/delivers/returns to the line. (cost effective and quicker). Only need one duck and it doesn't get wet (except on the return from the blinds). :tu

[​IMG]

Pin-Point Marking Drill (practice).

Stonehenge likes this.
  5. 3drahthaars

3drahthaars Elite Refuge Member

I use a hand held, old style.

I'd recommend the new RetrievRTrainer with the stock and pistol grip for one-handed operation.

And, I don't know about others, but with a dog that's been hunted over like mine... the shot really amps her up.

3ds

6. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Moderator- Diver, NY Forum, Refuge Classifieds Sponsor Moderator Flyway Manager

Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
    versa-launch-3-shot-launcher-6.jpg Retriev-R-Trainer Versa Launch. Best of both worlds. It's a remote launcher, plus each handheld can be removed to be used as a handheld, and then very easily put back to use in the remote launcher again. Check out BAYDOGSUPPLY.COM Best prices on all! Whether you choose the remote unit, or end up going the handheld or shoulder launcher. Call or PM me if you have any questions at all! 315-719-5652

7. ABREOJOS

ABREOJOS Elite Refuge Member

Much depends on your goals

The dogs that I have seen at club training days that had been primarily trained with a hand held thrower would not look out in the field but looked back at the hand held device. They also would breakdown to hunt at the maximum distance that the hand helds throw. Also, we primarily use ducks when training on marks.

We use Zingers when training alone or with just one or two people. For young dogs we only use remote throwers on an easy go-bird on a multiple mark. It is important to have someone out in the field on more difficult marks so they may help the young dog get to the bird if it breaks down, gets lost or tries to avoid factors.

If goal is to teach the dog 70 yd. singles, then it does not take that much training and you can probably find a hunting buddy or local retriever owner to throw the few birds you need to get to this level.

8. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Four out of four of my hand-launcher trained retrievers that have been hunt tested picked up on the bird stations almost, if not, immediately, so I don't know that I'd continue to fool with a dog that didn't grasp what's going on at a training day. And there's certainly no law against doing stand-alone marks with the aid of a hand launcher to extend range way the hey beyond that of the launcher. Even works with those sorry ol' Chest-a-peeks.

9. Black Jack Kennel

Black Jack Kennel Refuge Member

I have been successful with a RTR handheld for years. But it depends on what your final goal is so to speak. Remote launchers are very good and have their place and nice to have. But it can be done with a handheld as well.

10. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

I used one for years. Don't forget your ear "protection".....don't ask me why.......unless you talk real loud. :h

Hogleg likes this.