Dunklin WMA - Whaaaaat?

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by booger, Jan 29, 2017.

1. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

I can't tell you anything that Dunk did or didn't do to have BM named after him. Prior to last year ( when Dunk & his sis sold half their properties), I leased a couple of farms from him for more than a decade. I dealt mostly with his farm office manager, but still had several interactions with him, including having breakfast a couple of times at five oaks. from those conversations, I can tell you that George is about as passionate about waterfowl hunting as anyone that i have ever met. I don't claim to know him well, nor have I kept up with the politics of the AGFC. I know he volunteered his time there, as well as DU, and has given umpteen million dollars to DU ("Cash money").

THEIRCOMMITED10 likes this.
  2. Hugatree

Hugatree Elite Refuge Member

I am certain he is passionate about it and what he did to help Bayou Meto and he did. help Bayou Meto wasn't done so a brown noser seeking affirmation would assign his namesake to Bayou Meto. I have been against the naming scheme long before this latest act of douche baggery. It's not about one person. It's about the generations who made these places what they are today.

3. Hugatree

It's a done deal now. 'Time to mine on down the road and get busy living or get busy dying.

4. stumpy waters

stumpy waters Elite Refuge Member

That's an absolute joke. Dunklin deserves some credit where it's due on some things, but the Metro isn't one of them. He was pretty useless on the commission.

Yep, backed out at the last minute after proclaiming for months he was against them.

5. Hugatree

That horse has left the barn.

6. booger

booger Elite Refuge Member

They were initially just going to rename Wrape, but then in feel good moment of lovin, they said awww heck, let's just rename the whole thing for this fellar. :doh

7. Hugatree

Azz sucking at its finest in the hopes they might get to make just one hunt at the fabled Five Oaks ----- just one. At the very least hoping Mr. Dunklin might acknowledge them at the next Jerry Jones Chapter DU function.

bxcall1 and TheDuckSlayer like this.
  8. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

Yeah...don't get this at all.

Rex Hancock worked to keep the Cache from being channelized and ruined. Naming Black Swamp after him seems pretty right, given that it is there because of him.

What great feat of conservation did Dunklin do for Bayou Meto? Didn't add significant acreage, the place is still the bane of AGFC's existence during duck season with all of the moaning and whining, and he didn't save it from the people threatening to turn it all into pasture or straight ditches and rice.

Glad he's donated to DU, but that has little to do with Arkansas. I don't know if he was a great Commissioner or not; did he come up with some way to revamp the budget and save millions that could be poured back into the WMA's? Develop some new management plan that will undo the flood-stress damage over the next decade or two?

Renaming of a public use area shouldn't be a participation trophy. But, it's done, so...whatever...

Hugatree and stevena198301 like this.
  9. Hugatree

Well said.

10. CJS

CJS Senior Refuge Member

Its laughable and embarrassing at the same time. And a disgrace to folks who have grown to cherish the treasure that is bayou meto.