Dustin Retrievers Training Program

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by cut-'em-all, Feb 25, 2016.

1. cut-'em-all

cut-'em-all Refuge Member

I got a new lab pup from Dustin Retrievers a few weeks back. Great dog so far. She is smart as a whip, crate trained and potty trained easily. Showing lots of great retrieving instinct, although she doesn't like to bring stuff back.

Anyway I am cosidering taking the dog back to the Sutter location for formal training and was wondering if anyone has had a dog trained by Carl Hampton, the guy who is running the Sutter location? Seems like a good guy, but if I'm gonna dump a few $$$$ into training I want to make sure it's the right guy

Thanks

2. 7pntail

7pntail Senior Refuge Member

I always wonder why some duck guys don't train their own dogs. So rewarding. You might consider it.

Not uncommon for a pup to not bring stuff back. If you have done basic OB, and your pup is done teething you may consider FF.

Watch a few videos, learn training basics and even if you go with a pro, it will help you understand your dog.

Lil trick for a young pup is to toss some toys etc... down a hallway, where pup has no escape route and has to bring it back. From there, rope, Aka a check cord is a good option. Not sure how old your dog is.

Good luck with the pup!

3. cut-'em-all

I have partially trained a few dogs in the past and they were good dogs. At this point in my life I don't have the time to put into it, and I want the dog to be a great hunter.

4. Slick

Slick Senior Refuge Member

Whatever you do, make sure the pro you are considering has customer references to give you and vet the references and read between the lines.

5. booneshaya

booneshaya Refuge Member

I have a Dustin Retriever dog. Super dog!! Shawn Dustin is a real good guy , too. He has a series of 3 training videos called Retriever Fever. I used them to train my dog and it has worked out great. I know you can buy the videos online but you might also find them on YouTube. Not sure. Good luck with your new pup!!

6. ducky911

ducky911 Elite Refuge Member

puppies throw retrieve in a hallway ie no where else to go...also don't take it from him right away, let him hold it for a bit

7. 7pntail

7pntail Senior Refuge Member

Dennsi Hayre in Lodi is an excellent choice. Good guy too. I've seen some of Dustin's dogs run too. Good trainer. Not sure where you live.

Evan Gram has a timeline flowchart that is helpful for general guidelines for training and will answer your questions on RTf forum.

http://www.evan-graham.net/Flow-Chart.html

Good luck with pup---have fun with lots of positive reinforcement.

8. Slick

Slick Senior Refuge Member

Seems Bill Hillman's program is the most popular today. However, might not be for the guy who is new to training. Just like Mike Lardy's progam......too advanced for the newby and even the guy w/ an avg amount of experience but right on for a guy who wants to build a championship retriever.

9. cut-'em-all

Not looking to do it myself. Just looking for reviews on Carl at Dustin Retrievers before I drop a bunch of $

10. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Don't know Carl, but my previous dog was a Dustin and it was going to be breeding stock until he decided to move to Montana and didn't want to move non-breeding puppies. I got the pup at 4 months and that dog was pretty had all the basic obedience down really well. Was a great dog. Get some references for Carl's dogs the last couple years.