Dustin Retrievers Training Program

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by cut-'em-all, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Matt F

Matt F New Member

cut-'em-all -- Did you end up working with Carl on your dog and how did that go? I'm considering to buy one of his dogs and curious what the recent opinion is of Dustin Retrievers (Sutter). TIA.

2. blackdog58

blackdog58 Elite Refuge Member

Lots of reasons why guys to go pros. Time, knowledge. It's like learning how to play golf. A pro can save one a lot of time, money and frustration.

The rub is this. Dog comes back from a trainer, no matter how extensively the training was the work is not done by a long shot. Owner needs to understand the methods, work with the dog and understand where both parties are while building the relationship. To often the owner thinks it's all turn key. Not the case. Especially when the dog comes home in June, sees little work then come October it's "***". Even on the simplest of task.

3. ChrisF

ChrisF Senior Refuge Member

A good puppy program will give your pup a big head start that will likely pay dividends once he heads to the trainer. Just my opinion, but a guy would be well served to check out Sound Beginnings by Jackie Mertens and Bill Hillmans Training a Retriever Puppy. Both very simple and easy to follow.
    Have not heard any reviews of Carl at Dustin.

4. Letumwork

Letumwork Senior Refuge Member

I don't have input about Carl but I thought I would throw this out there for you. My last dog was from Dustin Retrievers back when Sean was in Sutter. He was wired hot and I couldn't train him myself so off he went to Dennis Hayre in Lodi. He turned out great and at the time this was the right decision. I decided to try and train my current dog and see how it went. As luck would have it I got another hot dog and started running into issues I couldn't solve on my own despite having a large collection of training videos and books. Most of the material gives methods but not a lot of information on how to deal with different issues that arise. I'm now enrolled in a one on one program that Dennis has as an option for those who don't want to send the dog away for months at a time. I meet with him once a week and we deal with issues that come up. I will tell you that it's the best of both worlds. You get the satisfaction of training the dog yourself as well as the professional input when things don't go as planned. You also get the added luxury of having access to the property with all the ponds and fields once a week which is nice if you don't have access to that type of terrain. Whatever you decide to do, I highly recommend Dennis Hayre but maybe Carl is a great choice as well. I have a copy of Sound Beginnings if you would like it. PM me your address and I will send it to you. Good luck!

5. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

I have done okay training my labs, learned little bit with each one, but I never was comfortable with truly teaching force fetch, so with my current lab my plan was to have her force fetched and refine what I had trained into her by time she went. It was a good compromise. The best part, it is cheaper to send me lab to trainer than it is to have her boarded. But as Blackdog said, you have to work with them regularly. With mine being on the shelf for 3 months for knee surgery, it took a while just to get her back to where she was before surgery ob wise and all.

6. 7pntail

7pntail Senior Refuge Member

I have only met Dennis a couple of times. But, I had his son in class. An absolute wonderful kid; ambitious, smart, polite, humble. Usually, the apple does not fall far from the tree.

I have heard wonderful things about Dennis on RTF, and by word of mouth. He would be my first choice for a trainer.

7. duckme

duckme Elite Refuge Member

I would ask Jim Dobbs or Julie Cole about him,they both live in that area and might have some knowledge about him. Sure there are other trainers around but maybe this guy is new to the area and good with dogs .

8. Whatever

Whatever Refuge Member

My hunting partner bought a dog from them, and put her in training for 3 months. Could not have been more unhappy. I gave him their vids, and he's found them very useful, and the dog came along well.

9. booneshaya

booneshaya Refuge Member

I originally posted on this thread 2 years ago. Since then, my Dustin Retriever lab passed away (the one in the pic with my username). I got a new Choc Lab from Carl in April. Hands down, the smartest, best pup I've ever had. 10 months old and did real well his first year on ducks, geese and pheasants. I trained him myself again using Dustin's Retriever Fever videos with Carl just a phone call away to offer advice. To tell you what kind of a guy Carl is, a buddy of mine took his dog to be trained there last summer. After one month, Carl called him up and told him to come pick his dog up because he didn't feel right about taking the guys money when his dog wasn't up for the pace of training yet. A lot of people would have taken the money but Carl was honest and upfront about it. To this day, Carl will answer any questions I have at anytime. I highly recommend Carl and Dustin Retrievers for training and purchasing high quality pups. Below is my new Dustin Retriever named Gus from a January goose hunt.
    IMG_0855.JPG

Matt F likes this.
  10. cut-'em-all

cut-'em-all Refuge Member

I ended up having my dog trained by Gary Bethel at Birddog Bunkhouse. He did a great jo for me. Roxy is two years old and is hands down the best dog I’ve ever owned or hunted around. Great family/hunting dog.

Matt F likes this.