Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

E caller Cassette or cd ?

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by DUKFVR, Jan 5, 2004.

1. DUKFVR

DUKFVR Elite Refuge Member

In the TX Marsh Killing Geese & Ducks & Catching S
    Just wanted to know what different people use in the field for the conservation snow goose season. What do you use a cassette player or cd player. I use a cassette player , but heard the cd players are more prone to give problems in the field ,because of dirt . grass etc.

2. mrdux

mrdux Elite Refuge Member

The reasons you mentioned are some of why I don't use a CD. One of the other main ones is I can loop parts of snow goose tapes that I prefer and make my own custom tapes. Also, if you are building your own e-caller set up, cassette decks are much cheaper to buy than CD.

3. ColoDuk

ColoDuk Elite Refuge Member

ive got the lohman cd system i like it, its not bad, never had a problem with it yet, no skipping or dirt problems, i leave it in the carrying bag that it came with and dont open it unless you really have to

4. stuwest

stuwest Elite Refuge Member

if you've got a CD burner on your PC you can make a 'loop' CD.
    I'd ahve to look into it a bit, but I know it's do-able.

5. snowgoosegear

snowgoosegear Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

The reason that a lot of guys make their own callers is because the callers available on the market don't put out enough volume. Even if you did have more volume all of the recordings of live birds sound horrible when you crank it up. A CD player will give you the best clarity but its not too much better than a quality cassette player. The nice thing about a CD is that its really easy to find the track that you want to play - no fast forward to deal with. For directions on building a cd/cassette player check out:

http://www.snowgoosegear.com/store/doityourselfecaller.html

I'm making an MP3 e-caller this year so I'll post those directions as well but its not too different - you just need to throw in an amp.

Lee

6. ColoDuk

ColoDuk Elite Refuge Member

also dont have any stopping and flipping the damned tape when the geese are working you with a cd, that is always awkward