E-Collar Mandatory?

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Northy, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Northy

Northy Refuge Member

Hi guys!

I'm getting a new dog (Pointing Griffon) which will go for ducks, woodcock and grouse. I do not want to use a E-collar for training, but I was wondering if I should get one for hunting. The only time I would use it is if the dog refuses the back command, let's say when chasing a crippled duck in too rough water. Some people told me it could save it's life.

What do you think?:confused:

2. roxie

roxie Moderator Moderator

If you opt to use an e-collar in the field while hunting, it will be imperative that you properly condition your pup to the e-collar during the course of training PRIOR to using it in the field.

3. Northy

Northy Refuge Member

I agree, but do you think that hunting situations can excite a dog to a point that he would not answer to a more conservative form of training? Should I train with E-collar?

4. roxie

roxie Moderator Moderator

Absolutely. The anticipation and excitement of a hunt can be overwhelming. And without a doubt it can lead to inconsistent compliance with known commands. Thus, an e-collar (when properly used) can be a valuable tool.

So if you plan to hunt with an e-collar.......then plan to train with it. ;)

5. Headless T

Headless T Senior Refuge Member

Northy,

I don't want to speak for Roxie but I will try to clarify what I think is trying to be conveyed.

If you ONLY use the collar for hunting, how will your dog know what that stupid shock coming from his neck is? Your dogs thought process......The only time I feel the shock is when I am excited and chasing birds. That must mean that if/when I get excited and chase birds I will feel this shock. So if I don't get excited (insert birdy) and if I don't chase these birds I will never feel this shock. Therefore, I will stop chasing birds...no matter what. Good, now I am happy because I am not chasing these birds.

If you want to use an electronic collar there is a definate way to introduce and "condition" your dog to its use. You can 'wing it' and discover that you have ruined a dog that could have been great, or you can follow a tried and true method that has worked on thousands of dogs.

Without pontificating to much. I believe the e-collar is a much misunderstood tool that can be used to really hurt or ruin a dog. The flip side to this is that it can be a great tool when used and introduced properly.

I think the bottom line is either use it or do not. If you do decide to use it please, please try to follow a method that is proven. These dogs are to wonderful to hurt, torture, confuse or punish by improper use of one of our tools.

Several recommendations if you do use an e-collar. My favorite is Evan Graham (see Smartwork Retriever Training Series at the top of this page). Also very highly recommended are Lardy or Dahl.

Good luck on your journey with your dog.

Scott

6. Duckinlead

Duckinlead Senior Refuge Member

I too didnt want to use an e-collar but after working with my dog and reading smartworks I finally decided to get one. Now I train with one and couldnt be happier with it. If used correctly, it can be a great tool and one I wouldnt do without now.

7. Vickie Lamb

Vickie Lamb Senior Refuge Member

The e-collar is a valuable training tool. However, it is only a tool and is only as good as the manner in which it is applied. If you do not do your preliminary work and condition your dog to its use, and instead only use it at some point out in the field, you are inviting disaster. Will that disaster occur? Only you will find out. But, keep in mind that there are five ways dogs react to an e-collar without having first been conditioned to its use in actual training, most of those five ways are negative, with one of those five reactions = to bolt. When a dog bolts it can very quickly find harm, or worse.

If you decide to use an e-collar, do your homework and use it wisely. If you don't want to use it in day-to-day training, and just have it on hand for when you think you might need it, you still should condition your dog to the proper responses that are expected.

Good luck with your dog and your training and hunting.

-- Vickie Lamb

8. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

It doesn't work that way. Using an ecollar is based on the dog having been collar conditioned. Ya can't just strap one on -- go hunting -- and start pressing buttons.

9. duckcommander 101

duckcommander 101 Elite Refuge Member

The e-collar was so instrumental in my dogs training that I cannot imagine doing it all over without it.
    The results after her collar conditioning were absolutely amazing.
    Do I use it in the field?
    She wears it every time we hunt but I only had to actually use it for its intended purpose twice.
    I use the Dogtra 1200 NCP and when I put it on her prior to the hunt I hit the page (vibrate) function to remind her it's there and it seems to work for me so far.

10. eDuck

eDuck Senior Refuge Member

I agree with the others. Make sure you understand what they mean by collar conditioning. And remember, every minute you are with your dog you are training it - whether you realize it or not.