E-Collar Mandatory?

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Northy, Dec 29, 2003.

1. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

The others have stated the case for using a collar better than I can.

However, the thing that bothers me a little is your statement above about using it in "too rough water". In my mind, if the water is so rough that you would have to force a properly trained dog to go in, or continue, then you should have second thoughts about sending your dog in to start with. Our dogs aren't invincible. If it's that rough, retrieve the duck with your boat.

2. Northy

Northy Refuge Member

Thank you all for your very interesting answers.

Sorry I did not express myself properly, english is my second language. I was saying that althought I do not consider that training is enough to "justify" the use of an e-collar (I do not want to use this method), the device could be really helpful in the field, enough to force me into using one. And yes, if I am to use one in the field, I would introduce it to the the dog properly in training.

It seems that you guys are pretty convincing! I will seriously consider the option. Thanks!;)

3. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Perhaps it's me who's confused, but the combination of these two sentences leads me to suspect a semantic mix-up between "back," a command generally used to send dogs out and "come". Don't see how sending a dog out in rough seas could save its life, but do know that the ability to call a dog off a too lively cripple might avert tragedy in some situations. Have had some worrysome times with a little Britt that readily "no's" off "poison birds" he hasn't chased but hates to quit on distant cripples he's chased for a while.

But in the situations I've in mind, there was no way to know if he could hear the recall whistle, much less see if he was heeding it. Wouldn't know whether an electronic manner reminder was in order or not. So I'm thinking the best answer to your concern is plenty of come when called - no matter what, training by whatever means you deam appropriate, steadiness - no matter what, and good judgement about when to send the dog or not - no matter what.

(The exception to the come-no-matter-what rule with a pointing dog being that most of us want ours to ignor the come whistle when on point.)

4. duckhunternate

duckhunternate Elite Refuge Member

Northy, I too had to make a decision on whether or not to use an e-collar on my last dog. I wasn't thrilled about using it, but I found that after virtually no time at all my dog figured out that when the collar came out, it was go time! He loved it! He'd whine and go nuts when any time the collar case was in my hands. He hated getting a shock, and was very sensitive to it, but overall he didn't care because he knew it was time to work--and he loved it.

It really is the right choice to make. There's a nice article on e-collars in the Just labs magazine, the author talks about how the dog is more focused when the collar is on. Training teaches the dog that when the collar is on, it's work time.