E-Collar Recommendations

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Phytoplankton, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

I will be watching my son's dog for a couple months this summer. It's a mutt he brought back from Bulgaria last summer when he was on an archeological dig. The dog is about 60 lbs, and relatively well trained, however, I'm not too sure how well it will come to me. Also, I live in the country, so if it gets out I want to be able to find it (GPS) need some suggestions for a collar that has GPS Tracking but hopefully won't break the bank. Thanks in advance!

2. Scout_mn

Scout_mn Senior Refuge Member

Every thought of just doing a underground dog fence. Sport dog has them. Not bad priced.

3. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

I would definitely take a look at an underground fence. I know my neighbor did 3/4 acre for around $500. I believe that's still cheaper then a good collar with a tracker.

4. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

The yard is fenced, however, my front yard borders a slough and I have a dock/pier. Not a problem with my CBR, she never goes anywhere, and if she does go around the fence on the slough side, or goes swimming, she just wines at my neighbors gate until I let her back in the yard. My fear with the son's dog is it getting out (according to my son she is deathly afraid of water) and taking off across the street into a huge field/vineyard that literally goes for miles. Since I'm not sure if she'll come to my call I want to be able to track her. Last thing I want to do is lose my son's dog!

5. JBG

JBG Refuge Member

What do you consider breaking the bank? I'm sure you've seen that a tracking collar costs over $700 and only has a certain range. What do you do when the dog goes beyond that? Sounds like this dog will be on lead when out of the house and inside the house when you are gone.

6. choc24/7

choc24/7 Elite Refuge Member

dont think i could ever truly trust an underground fence. know too many people that have/had them and dogs still get out. i just would not be able to be comfortable relying on one.

Doc E likes this.
  7. ElkNuts

ElkNuts Senior Refuge Member

Make your son buy the collar. gundogsupply.com is about your cheapest option.

8. duck dawg

duck dawg Refuge Member

There is not a cheap reliable GPS tracking system available. I would definitely go with one of the Garmin tracking system. The Astro 430 is $650 (tracking only) and the Alpha 100 is $800 (tracking and training). It would be cheaper to buy a kennel.

9. professor

professor Elite Refuge Member

Don't think that just because you strap on a collar and use it that the dog is going to automatically come to you. The dog needs to be collar conditioned first so he understands what he is getting a correction for. Just because you are using the collar doesn't mean that a dog that is not CC'd will understand anything you command. You can't teach anything with an e-collar; just reinforce what the dog already knows.