Alabama Flyway Forum Sponsors

Early Teal/Goose season

Discussion in 'Alabama Flyway Forum' started by Kduck, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Kduck

Kduck Senior Refuge Member

Well, its a commin, but will they come without the AC up north? seems hotter than any other year in recient history. so are they going to move because of the amount of daylight left or because of the temps?

:scratch

2. o/u

o/u Senior Refuge Member

The teal have shown up on my ponds in montg. co. for the last 4 years around AUG. 15 TO 19 Teal move more on length of day this time of year than they do with cold.

3. 3.5 XTREMA

3.5 XTREMA Senior Refuge Member

I tend to agree with O/U. I believe the weather ups/downs normally related to this PM storms makes them more finicky once they arrive.

My in-laws farm ponds in Dallas/Wilcox counties generally has teal anywhere from the second week of August to the first week of October and it seems every year it's more than likely not during the two weeks the season is in.:reader

4. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

This year, the full moon comes the last week in August when the peak migration seems to occur. From what I've read, biologists state the drakes do historically migrate in the front-middle of August so we're left with the hens & juvies in September. Back in 1969, north Alabama had a good opening weekend and then (with Camille) an even better final weekend as many of the birds did a U-turn from the coastal areas.

5. uabquaker

uabquaker Senior Refuge Member

We hunt them every morning and I will tell you from exp temps and storms make these birds very temperamental!!!! One day there here then a small storm comes and there gone

6. Luckytiger

Luckytiger Senior Refuge Member

I'm originally from Alabama..so posting here..Talked to friend who does his lab training in N. Dakota 'cause it's cooler up there in the summer..Told me the teal were as thick as blackbirds up there with the recent lil coolsnap they just had!:tu