Tennessee Flyway Forum Sponsors

east tennessee ducks

Discussion in 'Tennessee Flyway Forum' started by 10ga, Nov 14, 2003.

1. 10ga

10ga Elite Refuge Member

has anyone been out looking around in the east Tn area the last few days? i went over to take some pictures of a farm that i just listed and jumped up about 10 ringnecks off a little pond. that was about 2 days ago. my buddy went out on cherokee the other day and said he saw at least 300 to 400 big ducks. we are going out saturday to set out a few temporary blinds and scout around, soon as i get back i'll let you know what we saw on. has anyone been on the holston in the beech creek area? we are thinking about going up there to look around next week. i would like to hunt over on douglas but i have never hunted there, just do little fishing there in the summer. i was just curious if anyone has seen any birds in the Duck Poor Capital of the world. :D

2. TnGreenhead

TnGreenhead Senior Refuge Member

Beech Creek is holdin a handful of teal and woodies, jumped around a doz big ducks and hundred or so geese, this was last Fri. Douglas has ducks everywhere good #'s of divers and big ducks. So if nothing changes looks like I will be on Douglas again this year. Soon as my baby is born I will be scouting Douglas, Cherokee, and Holston every day.

3. stinger13

stinger13 Senior Refuge Member

been seeing canadians and a few mallards and woodies on the holston below my house, only when they aren't generatin

4. tnh2ofwlr

tnh2ofwlr Senior Refuge Member

Hey 10GA, I know your in upper east TN but I thought I might reply with some info. on southeast TN. Went out this morning to put the final touches on one of our permanent blinds & didn't see enough to amount to anything! .........Depressing! Local reports indicate that there were alot of snows migrating through our area Wednesday & Thursday night! That's a rare event for this area, must have been the strong winds that got em off course!? The Hiwassee Refuge is starting to fill up with Sandhill Cranes & a few non resident ducks.(Wished they would let us hunt those darn Sandhills!) For the past 2 or 3 years the cranes have not showed up until Thanksgiving Day or after, so hopefully with them arriving a little early this year the ducks will also. By the way, I may take you up on that offer to hunt Cherokee. (I think you said Cherokee)I'm the guy that was working the ETWA booth at the waterfowl show a couple of weeks ago. Maybe we could swap a hunt if your interested in hunting in my neck of the woods. TN River/Chickamauga & Hiwassee.

5. 10ga

10ga Elite Refuge Member

hey tnh2ofwlr, lets do it, just let me know when you would like to hook up. i didn't get a chance to go out on cherokee today, my boat is under construction. me and a buddy are putting in a new floor and doing a rewire job. hopefully we'll be done in a couple of days so i can get out and do some serious scouting. we worked on it today for 10 hours and we still have about 10 hours to go. i know this is a bad time to decide to work on a boat but it had to be done and i haven't had much time lately. i have been seeing several ducks flying around my house and seeing some on farm ponds. it sounds like we're going to have a good season this year
    according to all the reports i've been seeing. i'm going over to the outer banks in a couple of weeks to do a little duck busting with my cousin, he went out this moring with a friend and they limited out in 30 min. give me a call and we'll make some plans. later, 10ga

6. tnh2ofwlr

tnh2ofwlr Senior Refuge Member

I'll keep in touch & let you know when things get HOT down here. (it's seldom, but it does happen every now & then) My work schedule will be very flexible around Christmas so let me know if you have room for a newbie if conditions are favorable.

7. knxvduckhntr

knxvduckhntr Refuge Member

There is a pond near the house that has been full of GWT and mallards. A few divers here and there. Flooded field near by has a few hundred mallards using it as well as a ton of geese. They are here...just have to find them. I have not seen any ducks other than the bread eaters on the big lakes around Knoxville.

8. 10ga

10ga Elite Refuge Member

hey tnh2ofwlr, well my trip to the outer banks got pushed out till dec 19 - 24th, man my wife is going to be happy about that. my cuz has to go on a training trip, he's in the marines stationed at Camp Lejeune. any time before or after that will be fine. i have been seeing ducks on every pond i drive by. this morning while heading to work i spotted about 25 mallards on a little mud hole beside the road. about a mile past that i saw about 100 geese on a small man made lake close to panther creek park, they were all locals. birds are moving in on douglas also, a friend of mine that lives on douglas said he has been seeing tons of divers and a few big ducks. does anyone know if we are suppose to get another cold front before the season starts? i sure hope so. keep those reports coming. while i am typing this about 50 big honkers just flew over my office, man i love the sound of those big critters.

9. Team Taylor

Team Taylor Senior Refuge Member

tnh2ofwlr where do you work?

10. stinger13

stinger13 Senior Refuge Member

for the past three days i have had canadians fly over and land below my house on the holsten. river was up and flowing tonight still had a large flock fly over