Georgia Flyway Forum Sponsors

Eastern GA Question

Discussion in 'Georgia Flyway Forum' started by MissedAgain, Sep 16, 2009.

1. MissedAgain

MissedAgain Elite Refuge Member

I might be moving from Orlando to Atlanta in the next couple of weeks. I don't hunt a lot - just like to get out a few times each season and scratch a few birds down.

Is there any reliable hunting on the east side of Atlanta?

btw - I'm the guy who designed the Hybrid duck boats. http://www.hybridduckboat.com

2. nosuzies

nosuzies Senior Refuge Member

No.

But the good news is your only 7 hours to the Miss delta.

They should have that 78 bypass around Birmingham finished in the next 20 years, which will take about 30 minutes off your trip.

Sorry--No optimism for anyone who fancies himself a duck hunter in Ga. How about deer hunting?

3. MissedAgain

It's exciting to think about the move - there are 4 seasons! :grvn The heat down here is dowright oppressive at times. The fishing is great but its getting crowded and more difficult every year.

I'm looking forward to the deer hunting but I'm a meat hunter so it should go pretty quickly. Last year - hunted 23 or 24 days and saw 10 deer total (all in one day with a major front but nothing shootable). A buddy saw 5 bucks in the same area! Same stand locations! I relish the idea of actually dropping the hammer on one again (used to shoot 2/year when I lived up north).

Once the meat meets the freezer it is bird hunting time - primarily ducks & geese. Hopefully I can figure a few things out. If not, I'll fish.

4. GSUJake

GSUJake Elite Refuge Member

Don't get your hopes up about GA. Probably the worst waterfowl state. There are a few places in AL that you can check out. Now the deer hunting, that's pretty good

5. seatrout99

seatrout99 Refuge Member

I used to kill a few birds on Lake Oconee when I lived in Athens. Decent goose hunting too. The Georgia coast down around Brunswick can also be productive. Seminole is four hours south of Atlanta can be good depending on the weather and pressure. I know several guys that do well on Eufala. Another hour south of Seminole is good coastal hunting for divers near Piney Island/St. Marks, FL. Duck season in Georgia is what you make of it. It can be great at times. I have killed limits of mallard, widgeon, and pintails some mornings. Other days you're grateful to scratch out a few woodies and ringnecks.

6. MissedAgain

Thanks, ST. I'm liking the idea of goose hunting again.

I understand hard hunting and having to protect spots that may already be overhunted...

7. GSUJake

GSUJake Elite Refuge Member

and ga has those DUMB resident geese

8. MissedAgain

Geese can do some dumb things but they only do it once.

I remember having a family of geese come swimming across a small back woods pond that was reflecting the colors of the changing leaves - over to a 12 year old kid sitting in the grass - shaking like a leaf - with shotgun - the 10 or so honkers came a-swimming, in a single file line, the lead bird honking very loudly to see what had invaded their turf... (they had landed a little far out)

I got 3 that day. I remember that like it happened yesterday, not 28 years ago. :tu

9. MarshCruiser

MarshCruiser Senior Refuge Member

Hey missed, I've lived in MS for the last 5 years...about to move to ga and am having the same fears you are...you're welcome to ride with me over to the ms delta each weekend if you'd like! :grvn

10. MissedAgain

That almost sounds too good to be true! :bow