eating hogs???

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by dragon1681, Mar 3, 2014.

1. dragon1681

dragon1681 Elite Refuge Member

Hey guys will be down there in a week and a half chasing turkeys. Last time, saw a lot of pigs so decided to bring a rifle along this time. Have heard that the smaller pigs are good to eat. Have a game dinner my local gun club puts on and was curious on your thoughts on eating them. Are they OK and are they OK this time of year? Any help would be appreciated.

2. cracker4112

cracker4112 Refuge Member

Wild pork is one of the finest eating meats the outdoors has to offer...most of the time. Large boar hogs can and sometimes have the taint, and will taste exactly as they smell --which ain't good!

If you are looking for fine eating, sows and shoats eat the best, and boar hogs under 100 lbs should be fine. When in doubt shoot a pig under 75lbs, and enjoy. I personally only shoot sows, under 100 lbs. Not much better with four legs walks in the woods.

Oh and no worries with eating wild pigs any time of year. They can carry brucelosis which is a nasty disease if contracted, but it is transmitted through blood, it is cooked out. I guess its recommended to wear gloves when cleaning wild hogs to prevent getting it but I've never worried about it. And I've cleaned hundreds of hogs...

3. Ol' Red

Ol' Red Senior Refuge Member

Some of the best table fare out there. This one was about 45-50lbs on the hoof.

Red

Attached Files:

4. Waterfowl fool

Waterfowl fool Elite Refuge Member

Also for me, sals are the best eating.

5. dragon1681

dragon1681 Elite Refuge Member

Jack from a distance can you tell the difference.

Tom L

6. cracker4112

cracker4112 Refuge Member

That is why when in doubt, shoot smaller pigs. The only way to tell them apart is by the evidence of sex obviously this will be complicated by high grass, brush, etc.

7. Waterfowl fool

Waterfowl fool Elite Refuge Member

yes sir. Heads (around the neck are different too) Normally they have piglets with them of various sizes.

8. Lake O Hunter

Lake O Hunter Elite Refuge Member

that looks awesome!

9. bigdrumnc

bigdrumnc Elite Refuge Member

any recipes or tips on cooking? I am going to put one quartered up on my pig cooker tomorrow! was planning on doing it eastern NC style...