Echo open water

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by William Ball, Oct 25, 2017.

1. William Ball

William Ball Refuge Member

after falling in love with my new breaker. I decided to try an echo open water. Man that thing is crazy loud. Let bit of a learning curve. But so far I really like it. Should be fun screaming at the ducks on reelfoot with everybody this year. What's your guys opinion on the open water

auto5 likes this.
  2. Greenhead Rocker

Greenhead Rocker Elite Refuge Member

Open Water is a very underappreciated call. Especially since the XLT is almost as lound and can get much better low end. The Open Water was, I think, my first Echo and first acrylic call many years ago. Great call, but seems to be on the back burner for most guys...even big water hunters. A lot of that may have to do with Echo being more known for the timber style calls?? If you think the Open Water is loud, find an old EEL somewhere!

William Ball likes this.
  3. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I remember at a duck club when late, alcohol fueled calling contests were going on back and forth between camps, that a particular, old, Echo open water I had could roll over the top of all calls with volume.
    Another call I wish I still had.

4. stephen brown

stephen brown Senior Refuge Member

Always thought the Echo Extra Loud poly SR was the same as Echo Open Water poly SR???

5. Greenhead Rocker

Couldn't tell you about the poly calls, but the Open Water acrylic and the EEL acrylic were different calls.

6. William Ball

I would like to try an XLT. I thought the open water call with the timber to finish with would be a great open water combo. And the breaker and timber for central my farm pond hunting. The only reason for wanting the loud call is for reelfoot which wehunt a bunch. Down their you scream at them all day. Lol.

7. Greenhead Rocker

Sounds like you’ve got a solid set up right there. I wouldn’t feel unprepared for about any hunt with an open water, breaker, and timber.

William Ball likes this.
  8. William Ball

I hope so. I sure like the echo line. Compared to others I've tried. I have a hard time adding a lot voice any tips are welcome. The echos just seem ducky.

9. Greenhead Rocker

I really don't put any voice into my calls. I have a buddy that used to want all his calls to be naturally very clear. He chose to put a lot of voice or growl into his calls. I usually just blow pretty much clean air and let the tuning of the call do it's job. I usually tune my calls stiff and raspy or request them that way if I buy from the call maker.

William Ball likes this.
  10. mpkowal

mpkowal Senior Refuge Member

Amen to what Greenhead rocker said about the EEL,i pulled ducks from so far off with mine they never knew what hit em. I tryed to get Rick o sell me one but he insisted i get an open water,great call,just not an EEL.If I ever see one 4 sale I would buy it in a second.

William Ball likes this.