Economic Myths: the ongoing list

Discussion in 'World News / Current Events Forum' started by jaeger19, Apr 28, 2011.

1. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

Why, they're all healthy, contributing members of society.:cool:

Your first analogy's fatal flaw is the assumed identical cost of the employee working on the solution. Compared to the two issues being mentioned--illegals and the overall healthcare problem---that's not a legitimate assumption.

I concur with the rest of your comments regarding employers and the immigration problem.

2. jaeger19

jaeger19 Elite Refuge Member

Actually yes.. you could read many posts I have about illegal immigration and the way and reasons to stop it. As far as criminals? Well of course, thats why they are illegals as are the companies that are hiring them ILLEGALLY.

And yes,, you can find posts about welfare leeches from me. In fact several times I acknowledge that they exist and that I have experience with examples of such.

AND I have mulitple times posted about business and that they are not evil corporations and YES they pay lots in taxes. I am one of those corporations.
    I understand that if I want to continue to be able to make that kind of money and be able to continue to prosper in the next twenty years, this country is going to decrease the deficit and its not going to be able to do it by taxing the lowest 50% or by simply "stopping spending" (especially when you are only stopping on spending on "welfare" while leaving subsidies in place for oil companies)

You continue to say that you treat "both equally"...

YET.. you want to tax the lowest 50% more... and when asked if you are a supporter of getting rid of the bush tax cuts you state:

So.. you really don't believe in equal treatment...:fp

Actually, when it comes to income taxes yes I do and so do other companies... thats EXACTLY what we do when faced with higher taxes and potential for growth. If we can grow business we get more in profit AND money put into growth is done before we pay taxes so we get the deduction AND the depreciation for the next several years...
    Thats why businesses go on spending sprees at the end of the year to look at areas to increase growth, upgrade equipment etc to avoid taxes.

Growth largely occurs independent of income taxes. It occurs because there is profit to be made. Not just because taxes are high or taxes are low. Yes if taxes are high there is a greater incentive to exploit areas of growth, but the areas of growth have to be there in the first place.
    The proof is in the pudding.. taxes are much lower than they were in the 90's, yet our economic growth is in the toilet.
    Taxes were higher in the late 1990's but growth was higher also. According to you, growth should have slowed with higher taxes but it didn't.

Yes.. I understand that "you know better" than any other business person on the planet but the above is exactly how taxes and growth work.

Well, as pointed out we don't have to overhaul the entire healthcare system. if we make small improvements in the 90% section.. it will pay big dividends because its such a large issue.
    And our border policy would continue to be inefficient because it doesn't address the real problem which is the fact that employers in the US hire these illegals.

Standing on top of you.

3. jaeger19

jaeger19 Elite Refuge Member

Yes, the illegals is a much more expensive problem to work on. Largely because the dividends when it comes to illegals and healthcare just aren't there. Because yes, they are very healthy and very productive... one of the reasons that employers like hiring them in this country and are making billions by undercutting citizen wages in this country...

4. okie drake

You sure?

You can't stand by what you say on one thread, much less in general. Of course I knew that very well, but it's fun to watch you kid yourself.:l

5. okie drake

Denying care WITH BACKBONE, is not expensive and would result in the same kind of response one would see if the jobs dried up via action on the the employers, which you support (and I do as well).

We also both know America isn't ready to pay 5x what we're paying for many goods though, so neither healthcare or the immigration problem in general will be touched by either party beyond rhetoric. Though the dems might make it even worse.

6. API

API Political Action Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

I rest my case... :l

7. Super Swamper

Super Swamper Moderator Moderator

Ruh roh, there is some actual realism! I tell folks all the time that if they love shopping at Sams Club, they also love illegal immigrants. Most people honestly think that goods and produce from inside our borders are made by lovely American workers who are well paid and cared for and who have normal American lives of their own (house, car, etc).

When you start to ask, "Wait, how can California strawberries POSSIBLY be 30 cents a pound? And grapefruits are 40 cents each?" that assumption that Ward Cleaver picks the fruit from the tree (and thus makes at least the legal minimum wage) starts to fall apart pretty quickly.

8. API

If ya want to make a point, at least don't use a ridiculous example. I'm looking right this instant at a flyer from today's newspaper advertising a "72 hour sale" for a warehouse discounter called Smart & Final (located in CA, NV, and AZ). For three days only (May, 20 thru 22) fresh strawberries are on sale at 4lbs for $4.99. This is a darn good price for fresh strawberries in SoCal. Calculation of the price per pound is $1.24 (that's about 4 times your IMPOSSIBLE price). Or... maybe you're pricing moldy stuff rescued from a dumpster. :rolleyes:

9. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

MYTH #6: 50% of Americans Pay No Federal Income Taxes...

Oh - wait. It's not a myth... According to the Joint Committee on Taxation - Congress of the United States - 51% of Americans received back all of their withheld Federal Income taxes - some of the filers actually netted benefits...

http://www.jct.gov/publications.html?func=startdown&id=3786

But don't despair - their employers are paying some money in on their behalf thru payroll taxes...

10. API

Where's the data. The link gave up a 6 page PDF but I couldn't find any data.