Education Purpose: Nice Good Thread Please

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by mlhunter, Jan 10, 2006.

1. mlhunter

mlhunter Elite Refuge Member

Here are the updated pictures. All decoys are either new or only used only once or twice. A lot of pictures didn't turn out, about 10 minutes into taking the pictures it started to rain. I was in a muddy field with my work clothes and going straight to work.

It was windy too, the feathers on the stuffers were blowing like crazy.

We can disagree and say one decoy is better than the other, but let keep this thread going in a positive direction.

I used Greenhead Gear FFD, DropZone Pro, DropZone Standard, Dave Smith Decoy, Hardcore Honker, and a Canada Stuffer.

I will post my opinion later. The only thing I will say is I like the DZ Pro better, but I think alot of hunter would like the Standard better. This is the first time I've seen the Standard.

One last thing I believe DZ, HC, and DSD can be painted darker or lighter depending on what the customer wants.

Thanks to all the decoy makers for providing me with 2 dozen free decoys to test. :l I'm kidding I didn't receive anything free or have I never been a paid employee of any companies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mlhunter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. mlhunter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. mlhunter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. jpj

jpj Senior Refuge Member

thanks for doing that, I have always wondered how they'd match up. although the stuffer is rather haggard and beat down, I'd take a rig of them over plastic...nothing compares to the way feathers absorb sunlight. all of the plastic ones do look very good though, especially the DZ's and DSD's.

6. offroadbaby

offroadbaby Elite Refuge Member

Thank you very much!! This is my first year goose hunting and that helps a ton on figuring out which dekes to buy. Unfortunately, I'll have to save all year just to afford 4 of any of them. :eek:

7. Bruce Carp

Bruce Carp Senior Refuge Member

But where are the bigfoot decoys? interesting outlook, and durability should or might be addressed. Thanks for the review.

8. Decoy-em-in

Decoy-em-in Elite Refuge Member

Good idea. That stuffer looks a lot like I did on New Years day.:nutz

What strikes me as peculiar is the fact the none of the deeks look anything alike from any angle. Not one color scheme is alike. And not one set of tail/wing feathers looks anything remotely as real as the stuffer.

9. StillInScrubs

StillInScrubs Elite Refuge Member

Do you guys feel that decoy quality is one of the key factors in decoying geese?

I have not hunted them in a several years, but back when I did hunt them we used painted pressure board cut-outs. I always ranked location, number of decoys, size of decoys, and calling in that order as keys.

They all look great. I like the second one from the right the most. Big, good color contrast between the neck and body feathers, etc. Most realistic body shape in my opinion.

10. Decoy-em-in

Decoy-em-in Elite Refuge Member

Concealment is number 1, IMO. Followed by location. I can sit on the banks of a pond and call geese in without any decoys. I can't do it if they see me, or if I'm where there aren't any geese.