Education Purpose: Nice Good Thread Please

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by mlhunter, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Avian Thunder II

Avian Thunder II Elite Refuge Member

Since you are in MN, you suffer the vagarious influence of spring "timing" in the Hudson / James Bay area. Last year with a rather late spring, the production was poor; hence, you hunted a lot of adult (say smarter) MVP and giant Canada geese from that area. Fortunately, spring came early this year in that area and production was above the 5-yr average. You should have a better season this year than you experienced last year. :)

2. BFG

BFG Senior Refuge Member

I must hunt the dumbest geese in the world. Poor decoy quality would be about #245 on the list of potential reasons why the birds didn't finish.

They all look damn great these days. Hide your butt, don't call too much, and keep your head down.

3. Honker Guide

Honker Guide Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

That all depends. Ask BBW how the BFs work in competition with DZs. I am not trying to put down the BFs as they have a very loyal followingt, but I am just putting up what happened last year when someone said they could kill just as many geese over BFs as the DZs.

I have a trailer full of stuffers and I will have a hunt where we put the DZs up against the stuffers. I can already tell you what the results will be!! Maybe BBW will want to come out and see for himself.

4. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Elite Refuge Member

5. Fanatic

Fanatic Elite Refuge Member

I think its fair to say they aren't quite as effective as they once were. But either are laydown blinds and spinners. I think they work just fine for the most part. I still get on a hunt or 2 each season with someone that uses them. If the truth be known I have spent the majority of the past few seasons hunting our local refuge geese as opposed to getting out and about and hunting many different areas of SK like I once did. I can say this much - night and day difference. Most of the birds are here the entire 3 1/2 month season and get shot at everyday. I can speak with 100% honesty when I say that dekes like DSD's and DZ's definitely seem to out perform BF's with these local refuge birds. Now, in 95% of the rest of the province (maybe even 99%) where birds don't get the pressure they do specifically here and where they are constantly moving through areas, BF's seem to pull birds in better than they do here.

6. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

I think the idea of geese starting to really get used to these fullbody decoys is worth more thought, because even being out alone with my 16 DSD honks around me I had geese landing 40 yards out, 100 yards out, so on. I also witnessed, many times, live geese coming into the field and refusing to land near other live birds, multiple times on one field one day as well. I had several different groups of live birds in the field with me, incoming geese just wouldn't land near any other birds, that including my decoys.

Last year was just goofy, but are geese going to get to the point where they don't even feel safe landing next to other live birds, are these fullbody decoys doing that??

If fullbody decoys are seeing a drop off in effectiveness, where do things go... what is going to take their place. Is it a sillosock, maybe the silos... where do things go??

I realize plenty of birds are still being killed, I actually limited that one particular day, but the reactions I saw from birds last year have me and everyone around me puzzled, hoping not to see that this year....:scratch

7. ivan y

ivan y Senior Refuge Member

Shoot......nothing some DZ's wouldn't cure. You simply bought the wrong deke. ;)

8. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Geese will sometimes do what geese do,.. or any herd or flocked animal or bird.
    Is it a refusel,.. maybe not,..maybe the birds just were going someplace else,.. and that happened to be 40 or 100 yards away.
    Maybe they swung wide on the decoys only to take a look and went elsewhare.
    Watch any animal,.. not just geese,.. Is a herd of elk always bunched up,.. or is it 3,4 groups of a dozen spread ovr a meadow,.. yet they will bed 10 yards apart
    Sometimes no matter how good the who set up your calling etc,.. the birds will go elsewhere

9. baker aka goosenut

baker aka goosenut Elite Refuge Member

I gotta chime in on all this Bs. plain and simple these birds were hunting, no matter where your at, r getting hit with everything. the majority of hunters nowadays have all the best gear out. But no matter how good the gear you own still doesnt make you a good hunter and alot of that is the problem. But what that does is create alot of wise and conditioned birds. People who are in control of the birds in there area and hunt them the right way have good hunting all year long. go to area's where the birds have been raked over by every tom dick and harry and your in for a long day. with so many people and so many diffrent styles of hunting being used no wondered the birds are landing 100 yards out quit trying to blow the rinky dinky zinky out of that call and let them come on in there chico.:fp Bf's silos dsd dz's ghg all work just fine spend some more time on the hide and spend more time watching your birds and what there doing and your hunts will be more productive. And that's not hey guys this 13 year old boy got us on a field and i think he said the birds were coming from that direction and landing right here in the field.:l:l ''Oh yea i think they had black on there necks with white cheeks patches''.:rolleyes:

10. Honker Guide

Honker Guide Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

No truer words were ever spoken. Here is what happened to me one time when the geese didin't want to land with the other geese. I sat and watched the geese the afternoon before the hunt, which was to take place on the last day of the season. We had shot at these same geese over and over and I knew that it was going to take something special to get them to finish. I noticed that as the small groups of geese were landing about 75 to 100 yds apart, something was happening as time passed. The geese were feeding together and soon there were about 75 geese in one large group. The next small group to come into the field, landed right in the middle of the large group of geese. I had been using about 2 dozen DZs and I could now see that the number of geese or in my case decoys was having a great influence on them. So the next morning as we were setting up, one of my long time hunters, asked me when we were going to stop putting out decoys, because we had always used a small spread. I just told him to keep on putting out decoys until I said stop. Well, it was when we reached 75 that I told them that that was enough. We ended the morning with 24 geese and every goose tried to land right in the pocket.

The point here is of course to try and do what the other guys are not doing. And of course in my case, to do something other than what I had been doing. Sometimes it is not as simple as this, but you can try a lot of different things when you are out hunting, such as doing less calling, spreading the decoys differently, putting your blinds in someplace other than in the downwind area, talking to your buddies about movement, moving to another part of the field, and so on.

If you can find the sweet spot in the field, you will find decoying geese is a lot easier. I watch a field for a season or two before I put a permanent pit in it. This is so I can ascertain where the first geese to arrive every morning, want to land. A lot of guys will set up where the last goose left the field. I find that this only works some of the time, compared setting up on the sweet spot where they will gravitate to all the time. Paul