Education Purpose: Nice Good Thread Please

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by mlhunter, Jan 10, 2006.

1. ivan y

ivan y Senior Refuge Member

100% agree.

But...........there for a second, when I first started reading, I really thought you were going to say you whipped out the famous flapper and got them decoying.

2. Honker Guide

Honker Guide Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

That hunt was after I started making the DZs, but before I made the Flutterwing. If that had happened last season, I would have had the Flutterwing out because I use it everyday that I hunted for geese. I really wanted to learn as much as I could about it and by using it everyday, whether I needed it or not, I did learn a lot about when and how fast to run the wings. It can be a hinderance if you run the wings at the wrong time, but 90 % of the time the geese would land right by it. I came to the conclusion, that late in season, it worked best if I just ran it on the corners or when the geese were looking like they were going to pull off the spread or when they were still at least 100 yds out. another thing I found was that I could tilt the wings toward the ground in front and achieve an angle to the wings that made the wings disappear to the incoming geese. Much like a sillouette will disappear to a goose overhead.
    Here are a few pictures of the results.

This first picture is the day that BBW was hunting with our guides and I was in another pit. You can see the FW in the middle of the picture.

[​IMG]

Here you can see the FW with a few live geese in the spread.

[​IMG]

Here is a picture after he second day of our hunt with both groups of hunters.

[​IMG]