Effects of 2,4-D

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Fowler267, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I have been out spraying 2,4-D over the last week. 1 gallon hand sprayer and 4-5 tablespoons of concentrate to the gallon. I spray a half moon pattern then walk up a ways and spray another usually spraying behind me. I usually carry an extra gallon of mix with me.

I sprayed some last week and was walking over some of the areas today and could not notice a huge difference? The weeds were anywhere from knee to waist tall. Did I wait too long and let the cocklebur etc get to mature ?

Will one drop of mix kill the whole plant or does it just burn the plant where it gets contact with the mix? In other words, do I soak the plant or just spread a mist over everything?

I did spray some short, 1-3 inch tall weeds where the water finally came off after I planted rice and BYG on it back in mid June. I have read where you are better off letting the BYG get 6-8 inches tall before spraying but I only have so much time so I did it today

2. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

ooft. Weeds that tall (especially cocklebur) are going to be hard to kill. They will probably take multiple applications unless you go to something stronger. 24d is not a burner, meaning you don't need to cover the entire plant to kill it. However with weeds that size I would give them a pretty good shot (spray to runoff) and I always use an adjuvant with the herbicide so it sticks to the plant better.

3. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I used a few drops of dishdetergent to each gallon.

Is that enough?

4. Waterdog Trainer

Waterdog Trainer Senior Refuge Member

Weeds that established can be difficult to kill, especially with one spraying. As with any mixture you want to make sure you have the proper mix measured out. It doesn't have to be exact but you definitely don't want it weak. Usually in the data material there are mixing charts for certain types of weeds and grasses. A lot are mixed at 2% which will give a good kill on most weeds. You may need to go with a stronger mix with a good surfactant.

5. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

Your rate is clearly to low. It takes full coverage of cocklebur unless you really jack your rate up. It is a tough plant.

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I use the stuff in my ATV sprayer. I mix 6oz per gallon
    (Other than that, I have no expertise in this area)

7. jzoo

If you're just spot spraying I wouldn't be afraid to add dicamba to the mix.

8. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Just make sure your neighbor doesn't have beans 1/2 mile away. 2-4-D is cheap, on weeds that big I would use 8 ozs. Per gallon. 2-4-D is a growth stimulant, weeds simply grow themselves to death. Use a good surfactant, it makes water wetter.

9. thatguy2

thatguy2 Senior Refuge Member

Its illegal in several states. Buddy had his bean field done and it has screwed up beans for a longer way than you would think. It does work good on broadleafs however.

10. jzoo

Yep I'm well aware that it can get up and move for a loooong ways. (We've sprayed about 200k acres of it this year) But we're talking 2oz in a gallon sprayer vs 30 gallons over a quarter. Unless you are within a few yards of a bean/cotton field or in one of the states who have made it illegal, I wouldn't bat an eye.

Side note: About 20% of Nebraska's soybean fields were sprayed with xtend this year. Almost every field that was not planted with xtend traits is showing signs of dicamba cupping, but only a handful of fields have been killed. We are anticipating 70% of the fields will be planted with the xtend trait next year (even if the grower doesn't spray xtend). It wouldn't shock me if Mon new this stuff would drift but released it anyway to boost their seed sales. (my personal opinion only)