Ehrlichiosis - so disappointed

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by DtSB, Oct 25, 2017.

1. DtSB

DtSB Senior Refuge Member

Mainly a vent here, but also a little PSA.

My 4 year old boykin and I have been hunting pretty good since the beginning of Sept. We also had a great summer of mostly water work, and he was really starting to come into season. Sunday the 22nd he was acting funny in the evening: not eating, not playing, and really not doing much except sleeping. I thought something was up, so I took his temp, 104°. I took him to the creek to cool off a couple times that evening and night to keep cool. Monday, he was still hot and lethargic. My wife got him an appointment at 3pm. $300 worth of bloodwork and other tests and we're told it looks like Ehrlichiosis, but we need to have another lab confirm the results. We're expecting confirmation today. He was tested, full panel, in August at his yearly checkup and was clean, which was expected since he's been on Nexguard all his life.

He is still fighting a 104 fever, and is still going to the creek to cool off every couple hours. He's looking to be in pretty rough shape, and I was advised by the vet to not expect much of a "hunting dog" when this is all said and done. Apparently some dogs have no symptoms, while others can be severely affected. She said they never quite kick the disease once it takes hold like this. Also, once they get the confirmed diagnosis, it might take a month of antibiotic to see results!

So this is quite disappointing. Especially after the great week of hunting we'd just completed. Obviously I'm hoping for the best, but dang he looks to be in real bad shape now.

2. stephen brown

stephen brown Senior Refuge Member

Vet prescribe meds or waiting for blood work?

Ehrlichiosis and Lymes are so common where I live that doctors and vets will prescribe antibiotics when symptoms match, damn the blood work. My vet does the blood work and gives the meds, not all doctors office can/will do blood work.

Thought I had the flu a couple of years ago. Wife though different. I feel like hell, but off to the doctors I go. He says probably Ehrlichiosis or Lymes, and hands me a prescription. Damn the blood work. I'm out for a week. The meds do their job.

3. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

You caught it soon enough that it shouldn't be a problem. I have 2 Boykins and they've each had it and each time I caught it within a couple days as it seems you have. Doxy has had noticeable results within hours however. 200mg doses for a Boykin size dog, 1 every 12 hrs

From a recent article I read this summer, tick diseases are transmitted nearly instantly when they bite, not the 24hrs that was thought to be the case. So it really doesn't matter what you use for tick prevention unless it kills them before they bite. Both of mine have been vaccinated for lymes since they were old enough to get it. They both still got sick, although I'm not sure which tick disease they specifically had nor do I know if the vaccine covers more than lymes.

Bio Spot does kill on contact.

https://www.chewy.com/bio-spot-acti...VCYppCh1qGwzPEAQYASABEgJD_fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

4. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

I just reread your post where your vet hasn't given you doxycycline.

GET IT NOW!!

I've had my dogs test results come back negative 3 times in the past but doxy still took care of whatever it was. If you give him one now, he'll likely be on the mend within a few hours. Your vet should have given them to you upon suspecting it. If for some reason your vet doesn't give it to you, get a different vet today. No joke.

Pay attention in the future, if all of a sudden your dog goes from normal to totally lethargic for no apparent or obvious reason, just start him on doxy right then and have him tested as soon as convenient. Have the vet give you an extra weeks worth of doxy for the future.

5. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Fire your vet and any doctor that doesn't put you on doxycycline the second a tick borne disease is suspected.

Unless you have a known anaphylactic reaction to doxycycline, it will save your life.

This is basic medical knowledge from medical school.

6. P Frey

P Frey Senior Refuge Member

Sorry to hear the diagnosis, but I don't think your dog is done hunting. Caught early enough the pup should bounce back fine. I use bravecto oral flea and tick medication. I hardly ever see a tick on them and have never found one bedded into them. I also use a topical spray prior to going out on hunts. Good luck and keep us posted on your pup.

7. DtSB

The bloodwork came back from the lab late yesterday, and Ehrlichiosis was confirmed as was Anaplasmosis. We got him on doxy last night, 2 pills every 12 hours for the next 30 days.

When he left the Monday appointment, she prescribed him Metronidazole (which I questioned after the fact). Her reasoning was because of the hunting we'd done in the last week, and his main symptom was diarrhea along with the fever at that time. She thought maybe he picked something up from spending a week in stagnant swamps, something we don't normally do. The vet viewed his bloodwork at the office, but was unable to clearly diagnose the tick borne illness and was therefore reluctant to give an antibiotic he may not need. I'm not a vet, so what do I know?

We're all well aware of the symptoms and prevalence now, and the vet stressed that if he ever starts to show similar symptoms again, to come immediately and pick up the doxy and she'll worry about the bloodwork results after the fact if we need/want confirmation. I plan on seeing if she'll give me a weeks worth to have on hand.

Last night, his fever started to subside without a cold swim and he did show a little bit of life with his stubby tail wagging. This morning he showed a bit more life when he jumped up and tried to get my egg sandwich off the counter. :fp

Looking back through medical records of my hound, she had the Ehrlichiosis as well as Lyme when we got her as a 1 year old. I don't remember the vet making much to-do about it, but I do recall her being on antibiotics a while for it. You can't tell anything ever happened to the dog these days. She was in rough shape at the time though.

8. DtSB

What spray do you use? We're covered in ticks around my area, and the dogs frequently have ticks crawling on them. Of course, we do our best to prevent it, but its a part of daily life out here. The nexguard has done well for us, as I never find attached ticks. But they've still gotta bite the dog to die, so it doesn't do much good if diseases can be spread immediately upon the bite.

9. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

Good luck with your dog, glad to hear he's turned the corner. My son's dog, a mutt he brought back from Bulgaria, tests positive for Ehrlichiosis every time. The dog has never showed any symptoms, (he's had the dog since it wandered into his archaeological dig site as a 4-5 week old puppy) and it certainly hasn't slowed her down any. Vet said it's likely she'll always test positive for the antibody.

10. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Wife and both dogs picked up Ehrlichiosis and anaplasmosis a few years back while grouse hunting in northern WI. My female lab got extremely sick and we thought we might lose her - she bounced back and hunted a few more years. My male bounced back quickly and is still going 6 years later.

Hope your Boykin comes back strong and does so quickly.