Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Eider Hunt

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by bjakerley, Oct 17, 2005.

1. oldducknut

oldducknut Elite Refuge Member

On 21 rst will be on the NS south Shore with fellow fuger Total Disaster Weather is calling for cloudy with a 10 kt wind. We will be hunting off a ledge :tu
    Good luck with your hunt!

2. pointer

pointer Elite Refuge Member

Good news! :)

I'm in for Saturday. :sp

Have boat, room for two shooters, three travelers if shooting from shore.
    Have Bluebill dekes if any good to bring, and whistlers as well. Don't have sea duck dekes.

Don't have guides licence.

pointer.

P.S. HavenHunter, I'll try and catch you at home tomorrow.

3. mbrentgo

mbrentgo Refuge Member

Brian
    I am in for Saturday for sure, maybe even Friday if all goes well, I can bring my Eider rig, and by the sounds of it, there is probably enough boats, so I will not have to rush fixing the hole this week. Anyway you have my phone number, get a hold of me this week, and we will firm things up. :D

4. havenhunter

havenhunter Elite Refuge Member

Bjakerly and I were out on the shoal yesterday. Eiders out there were relativly scarce compared to what we are used to. Bjakerly shot a nice drake and we probably should have had more but bjakerly wasn't shooting well and again my gun wasn't patterning properly. We crapped out on two nice decoying groups of eiders and 1 group of oldsquaws. There was another group of local fellows hunting out there and I had a brief talk with one of them. He told be the birds are a little skittish because there were two fellows from NL and some guys from sacville out there all week. Hopefully the birds will calm down a bit by friday! Friggin newfies! I think alot of the birds are welded down around Ministers. We may have to put a group down in Chamcook harbour to bounce some birds around. Comments? Suggestions?

5. Ian

Ian Elite Refuge Member

Brian,

Since you are there your thoughts are invaluable, I was thinking about either riding the elevator or going to the shoal/green bouy behind ministers, really depends on the wind.

I'll be calling you sometime this week to tighten things up..

Ian

6. Eider Earl

Eider Earl Senior Refuge Member

Sounds like the Eiders are getting hammered in the bay again this year!!!

The guys from Nfld have been there for several years, one of them was on our DU committee, and another helped out.
    I would be supprised if we dont see a reduction in limits as a result of all the additional pressure that the birds are getting, although it may not be a bad thing

7. Acosi151

Acosi151 New Member

Wow did I ever take a bad time to stop checking the boards for a while...

Damn deer hunting!

Am I too late to get in on this? Can someone (havenhunter maybe) PM me with details?

I've never hunted salt water. I've got a boat (though small, maybe too small :confused: ) and nothing but puddler deeks.

I'd love to make the Saturday hunt.

Thanks,
    ~Jeff

8. Wood Duck Crazy

Wood Duck Crazy Elite Refuge Member

Wish I was able to make it but Ontario is too far away!!
    Like Earl said the Eiders are getting hammered hard and they are getting Smart. This population has never had the hunting pressure on it that it is now experiencing so have a good shoot and enjoy yourselves but try to get only White Guys and don't measure the success of the day by the #s but by the fun and new friends you guys are lucky enough to make this coming weekend.

9. Acosi151

Acosi151 New Member

Alright I've got the info (thanks havenhunter) I'll definately be down for the Saturday hunt.

I'll probably need to be a "tag-along" though since I'm not really geared for this type of hunting. If someone wants to adopt me just let me know what I can do as far as gear, food, gas, whatever so I can help out for my share's worth.

10. havenhunter

havenhunter Elite Refuge Member

I think this has been the only week they've been hit really hard. (unless there have been alot of fellows out during the week) The saturdays I have gone I havn't seen anyone out there. I Have had a couple of good shoots but mostly ones, twos and threes decoying. I do agree though. I don't think it would take long to mess things up say two groups of hunters limiting for four days straight. That probably isn't what happened but you never know. There is also the possibility that the big groups of migratory stuff just is not here yet. At any rate I'd be happy to go home with three or four birds. The limit doesn't need to be six.