Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Eider Hunt

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by bjakerley, Oct 17, 2005.

1. mbrentgo

mbrentgo Refuge Member

Brian from what I have been told from some fishermen, there are alot down my way right now, alot of the males have made the trip back, and are grouped together off of Seelys Cove, it would be a good place to go, but a little more dangerous than the St Andrews bay. Sounds like we are going to get a pretty good showing of people from all the interest that is being shown on here.

2. oldducknut

oldducknut Elite Refuge Member

Went down to the Sou Shore of NS and met my buddy Total Disaster for a Sea Duck hunt. You may recall seeing some pics of his tub . At any rate we hunted from a ledge.Here is a pic of the spread

[​IMG]
    Setting the spread
    [​IMG]
    Towing a string into formation
    [​IMG]
    What we were after
    [​IMG]

3. havenhunter

havenhunter Elite Refuge Member

Byes, She's giving gale force souwest wind for thursday and friday Arrrrrrrgh! (my best pirate voice) mightn't be the best weather for this thing :h :rolleyes: :mad: Hopefully not too bad to tie up to a weir stake close to shore.

4. pointer

pointer Elite Refuge Member

We'll just make ole mother nature walk the plank! :eek:

Safety comes first, I'm new to this so I'll take the voice of experience, pirate or no pirate!

Think it'll settle down for Saturday?

pointer

5. havenhunter

Saturday is looking sweet. Light north west wind. :tu

6. pointer

pointer Elite Refuge Member

From the environment Canada website:

Environment Canada Weather Forecast

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Marine Forecast issued for Fundy.
    Issued: 03.30 PM AST Friday 25 November 2005.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Synopsis:
    A cold front over eastern waters will move out of the district tonight. Strong to gale force southeasterlies ahead of the cold front veer to strong to gale force westerlies in its wake.
    A ridge of high pressure approaching from the southwest will move to lie across the district on Saturday. Generally moderate westerlies ahead of the ridge diminish to light as it approaches except over southeastern waters where moderate to strong northerlies are expected.
    On Sunday the ridge will remain nearly stationary over western waters. Moderate to strong northerlies can be expected over eastern waters while winds will remain light under the ridge.
    Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for all waters except Georges Bank and west Scotian Slope.
    Outlook for the opening day of the southwest nova lobster fishery On Monday November 28th..Light winds increasing to moderate southerlies.

Forecast:
    Gale warning continued.
    Winds southwest 30 to gales 35 knots with gusts to 40 in Chignecto Bay. Gales diminishing to westerly winds 20 this evening and to Light Saturday morning. Occasional showers or flurries ending this evening. Occasional showers or flurries developing Saturday afternoon. Visibility fair in precipitation. Little temperature change.
    Outlook for Sunday...Light winds.

7. havenhunter

"Winds westerly 20 to 25 knots diminishing to westerly 10 to 15 overnight and to light Saturday morning. Occasional showers or flurries developing Saturday afternoon. Visibility fair in precipitation. Little temperature change."

Looks very good! we'll see everyone in the am.

8. Wood Duck Crazy

Wood Duck Crazy Elite Refuge Member

Well guys how did it go??? Went out on Lake Ontario and laid the smackdown on some butterballs and Mallards today to ease the pain of no Eiders!!! Pics to follow...

9. havenhunter

Well yesterday was the first day all week it was decent enough to get off shore. We tried to hunt from boats and I guess the birds are a little weary because it wasn't very successful. Woodrow was hunting with Ian until 11 and the plan was for me to pick him up at the bar off Ministers and head to the shoal. Mbrentgo, pointer and bjakerly headed out from the launch near the warf.We got out around 11:45 and when we got there about 1000 birds were sitting where I wanted to set up. We left at about 4 pm with a full limit each of eiders and birds still bombing into the decoys as we were hauling them in.Hopefully woodrow will have some pics for you.

10. Ian

Ian Elite Refuge Member

Attached Files: