Eiders

Discussion in 'New England Flyway Forum' started by 1bigduck, Dec 5, 2017.

1. 1bigduck

1bigduck Senior Refuge Member

Hi, my name is Ted. I would like to try hunting eiders of the beaches in Mass or Cape cod and was just wondering what the rules are, can you hunt off any of the beaches or do you have to look up the rules for every town/village? Can you hunt off the national seashore? Is the north shore or the south shore better? Not sure I will make it out there this year, but it is a bucklist item. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

2. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

You've got a library worth of questions and answers going there.

just wondering what the rules are - Read the regs, narrow down an area and talk to a warden.
    can you hunt off any of the beaches - Depends on the beach
    or do you have to look up the rules for every town/village? Absolutely good practice. Talk to a warden or even a cop.
    Can you hunt off the national seashore? https://www.nps.gov/caco/planyourvisit/hunting-fishing.htm
    Is the north shore or the south shore better? Depends on where the birds are.
    Not sure I will make it out there this year, but it is a bucklist item. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Best advice anyone here can give you is to book a hunt with an experienced seaduck guide.
    Seriously...If it's a bucketlist...spend a few bucks and get a guide to put you on some birds.

dzkritzas likes this.
  3. 1bigduck

Thank you for your advice.

4. seaduckhunt

seaduckhunt Elite Refuge Member

Num70 gave you good advice. All I can add is if you do plan to hunt as you said, keep the tides in the forefront of your mind. That sandbar you wade out to, might be under a few feet of water on your way back. Also, the tide will carry out your ducks away from you, regardless the wind direction, so have a good method of retrieving them. I've seen EPO's hand out tickets like candy to folks that don't have a retrieving method. Wanton waste...

If you are looking for a guide, let me know, I can take care of that bucket list. In fact, that's all I do, fulfill bucket lists LOL

Have a safe season.

5. 1bigduck

Thank you for the advice, East Coast would definitely be on the top of my list for services, heard nothing but good about you guys. I may do that but I also like the do it myself hunts, I find them more rewarding. it's not the shooting that counts it's the hunt. I always bring one of my dogs with me so retrieving is generally not a problem. I wouldn't bring my boat, I don't trust my semi-v on the seas. would strictly hunt from the beaches. just looking for a place for me and my dog to get a couple birds. If I get a few guys to commit you will be our first call.