Electric drop

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by Truman, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Truman

Truman Refuge Member

Would like to investigate cost of providing electricity to our pump. Has anyone connected to electricity from along the railroad south of swan? How about the cost per foot to run a line? The pump is along the creek but I did see a setup where the electrical panel was mounted high on a pole with a ladder and deck for access. Not sure if electric provider is thomas hill or associated electric. Thanks in advance.

2. DagoDucks

DagoDucks Senior Refuge Member

Way too many variables without enough info to give a guesstimate. Some electric companies will give you a "free" meter drop within 250' of a current pole, others will charge for that. Some make you put in your own pole for the meter to be mounted to. Then you need to know the amp draw of your pump, the distance to the pump and figure the voltage loss over that run to come up with wire size. Big cost difference in 4/0 direct burial aluminum ($1.70/ft) and 2/2/2 at .77 cents/ft.
    First step would be to call the electric provider to find out what they offer and then figure out how much of this project you are willing to do yourselves.

DEADEYE likes this.
  3. Truman

Truman Refuge Member

Thanks for the info Dago.... obviously variables that I have not thought of but this does help. I assume we can trench on our own line after the drop to the location needed. I am sure we can recover cost over time compared to running diesel pump.

4. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

I had the same question of electrical service to our WRP. I contacted our provider and they said it would cost approximately $ 10,000..............but I would never get an electric bill. WOW ! We’re still using a generator.

5. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

What is the maximum distance power can be run from the main line without using a transformer? Obviously the longer the run the more the voltage drop. What's max distance?

6. Truman

Truman Refuge Member

Timber I do not know the answer to that question. From what I can gather on Google the answer is...depends. I know it took us about 225 gallons over 8.5 days to get the water where we needed it.

7. Mack Molloy

Mack Molloy Elite Refuge Member

One of the biggest challenges is start up...when your pump first kicks on it takes more amps. I am thinking our pumps pull around 35 amps while they are pumping...5hp submersible with a 3" and 4" discharge. We are pumping with two wells and total cost is approximately $40 per day. Our total cost for construction was a bargain (I can't remember the exact total- $13K?) to run electricity approximately 1600 meters...which included removing the trees. That deal is long gone and would probably be triple the cost now.
    The nice thing about electricity is you just turn it on and then monitor the water level to keep water about your screen. If you compare a power unit or running off a tractor's PTO, I would think electricity would win out in the long run unless the construction cost is crazy stupid. Convenience and maintenance for sure.

8. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

I actually work for Alabama power as a lineman we usually will give customer one span off of main line before charging for it now if it’s just to a pump and not a house it will probably cost you probably around 1500 to cover cost pole transformer material and labor the further you go the more it will be now secondary we have and will run it depending on size wire and demand usually overhead triplex around 100-130 ft so you could get a tap at around 200 ft then another 100 or so to meter pole them you could run it out to pump from there best thing in your case is to call and talk to them and don’t tell them what it is for just tell them your thinking about building a house out there and the cost will not be as much. There are ways to cheat the system. I mean I work for a utility and I would still save my self the money and tell them I was gonna build a house out there so it would cost less. Good luck

9. Truman

Truman Refuge Member

Thanks for the help cholt. We are in the bottoms so I don't think the house part would work. The utility company is looking for that payoff up front when it is just for a pump. I guess we could throw a couple of ice eaters on it as well but still wouldn't generate revenue like a house.

10. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

1CB007A9-911E-422F-ACD7-E62F8A0422FD.jpeg Heck I would tell them you gonna build it on stilts saw these single wides down in south Louisiana last weekend