Electrical Question for Ice eater

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Andrewe539, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Andrewe539

Andrewe539 New Member

I have a quick question about ice eaters. We are looking into getting an Powerhouse Brand Ice Eater this year. We already have a generator that supplies 13 amps at 120V. I was doing some reasearch on the electrical specs on the different ice eater models. One thing I did not think about was start up amps. We would like to get the 3/4HP or 1HP models but they have start up amps of 20 and 30. Since our generator only supplies 13amps, I am afaid if we got the 3/4HP or 1HP ice eater the start up amps would be to much for the generator and always trip the breaker on the generator. We would just buy a new generator big enough to handle that many amps but generator and ice eater in the same year are not good for a budget.

We can drop down to the 1/2HP model that has 10 start up amps but the hole it creates is a little smaller than what we are looking for.

So my question is would start up amps cause the outlet on the generator to trip or would the ice eater just be slow starting until it built up speed?
    We also plan on putting a timer or thermostat on the ice eater so it can run over night. If the ice eater would still start with low start up amps would the multiple on/off cycles cause the motor to go out quicker than normal?

Thanks for the help.

2. marshmob

marshmob Senior Refuge Member

I’m not an electrical expert but I would think the generator might stall when you flip the switch to put power to the ice eater. I have the 1hp powerhouse with a Cabelas Outdoorsman 3800/4750 watt generator and sometimes it will do that.

I am curious, what’s the timer all about? I like the idea but how
    would you set that up?

3. Andrewe539

Andrewe539 New Member

I got the idea from other threads I have read, some people have put timers on them and others have put thermostats on them.

With the timer, it would basically act as it does for example if you put a timer on Christmas lights. You plug the timer into the outlet on the generator and then the ice eater into the timer and set the timer to the intervals you want the ice eater running. Ive thought about having it run for an hour and off or an hour. Depending on how cold it is just to keep a hole open. In our situation depending on how late we hunted, we could run back about 8 at night, start the generator and start the process with the timer. Only thing I have found is its hard to find the right timer. You have to find one that can handle the voltage and amps of the ice eater. As well as finding one that can be programmed for multiple times.

As for the thermostat, Powerhouse sells one that plugs into the generator and then the ice eater plug into that. You can set the temperature I believe between 30 and I think 70. Probably wrong a bout that. But that would allow the ice eater to only run if its is near or below freezing. I personally like the thermostat idea beacause it only runs when it is needed. Northern tool actually sells the same thermostat for I think half the cost.

Either option depending on how big your gas tank is, you would probably have to have an external tank for the generator if you plan on running it over night.

4. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

The thermostat is if you plug into an existing electrical system. If the generator is running might as well run the ice eater too.

5. Andrewe539

Andrewe539 New Member

My thoughts behind it were, if the thermostat had the ice eater shut off, it would conserve fuel. Our generator goes idle if there is no load.

6. marshmob

marshmob Senior Refuge Member

I have a 3.8 gal tank and it runs for approx 8 hrs or maybe a little more. Unfortunately i have not been able to find a compatible tank cap that would let me run to an external tank. A buddy has the really small and quiet Honda generator with that setup. He can get approx 24 hrs out of the external 5 gal tank and the internal tank. Great setup EXCEPT that generator ran him about a grand 4 yrs ago.

7. Andrewe539

Andrewe539 New Member

We got our generator at Harbor Freight. Basically the exact same generator as the Honda except about half the price. It is a little louder but by like 2 decibels. Ours only has a gallon tank so we are planning on using a 5 gallon external tank. The manual says you can get 6.5 hours of run time on 1 gallon at 50% load. The ice eater will take up just over half the load but by putting a timer or thermostat on it, it would increase that run time by hopefully an hour or two depending on the temperature. We just want to be safe though and use an external tank

8. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

I’m no electrician, but my understanding is that your appliance needs to have a start up draw which is less than the maximum output of the generator or it will trip the breaker.

9. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

Ice eaters frequently require far more than half power off the smaller generators in my experience. The Mallard View (best by far IMO) requires a pretty good reved load from the smaller hondas, like nearly full throttle.

FWIW The Temp set "timers" that are plug devises between the generator outlets and the plug on ice eater cord CAN fail and are to reliable IMO. At least the ones we have used have proven unreliable.

10. STUMP52

STUMP52 Elite Refuge Member

I have a 2000 Honda and two powerhouse 3/4 iceeaters that runs around 30 hrs on 6 gal from a boat tank. Ran it for several years.

The trick is to plug one in and let it run for a few minutes to warm up the oil the motor is in and loosen it up. After a few minutes, unplug it and plug up the second and let it run a few minutes. Without unplugging the second one, plug up the first one. You will hardly load the genny up.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017