Eliminating a skunk... without getting sprayed

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by WoodieSC, Apr 1, 2005.

1. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

I've got a skunk that likes to meander through the property on a regular basis. My wife was walking the dogs yesterday and fortunately she saw him/her before the dogs did... same thing with me this morning.

I'm going to set out a trap this afternoon enclosed in a plastic trash bag with just the one end open. I have no doubt I'll catch the bugger.

My question is what is the best way to 'eliminate' it without triggering a spray reaction?

I've read that a head shot will do it, and others say a lung shot will. Drowning is an option, but that would require me to carry the trap about 800 feet to the creek and I think that might be pressing my luck. :eek: :D

What's the plan here?

2. yellowlab03

yellowlab03 Elite Refuge Member

I "hear" one of these works well... :dv
    [​IMG]

YL03

3. WoodieSC

:yes :no :clap

That would definitely "do it"... but I might have to remove a few trees afterward. :yes

4. JJ McGuire

JJ McGuire Elite Refuge Member

My suggestion to keep it from spraying you would be after you trap it have your wife carry it to the creek. :tu You may have to stand upwind of her for a while.

5. Ole Mossy

Ole Mossy Elite Refuge Member

I know a man that traps these in live traps. He says that if you just walk up on them slow then they wont spray you. He has been doing this for several years and never been sprayed.

I'm not April fooling either.

OM

6. Waterproof

Waterproof Elite Refuge Member

If you catch them in a live trap and walk up on the slowly and non threatingly like already mentioned that works then cover the trap with blanket or cloth or something that blocks the light out. Then carefully and slowly carry the trap to either a tank of water if you want to drown the skunk or to another place if you want to release it.

7. WoodieSC

Waterproof, I'm going to use a black trash bag instead of a tarp or towel so that I don't have to worry about washing it or tossing it.

JJ, having my wife carry the trap to the creek is not an available option... unfortunately... she not gullible enough to accept my offer. :no

My question is whether a head shot or a lung shot will keep it from spraying as it dies. We've got way too many of them around here to begin with to even consider letting it go.

I figured I would let it out of the cage where I can put a .22 into him/her. I just don't want any last-second surprises! :nutz

8. busman

busman Senior Refuge Member

I have done this several times, hold a tarp or old blanket in front of you and walk up and lower it slowly over trap, then take a can of ether like you would start an old diesel with and spray 3 or 4 shot of it in the trap through the blanket give it about 10 minute and he will be lights out. Dig a hole I then reach in with my snake catcher pull him out drop in hole put a .22 through the head for good measure. If windy give him a little more ether and time. :tu

9. WoodieSC

I'll assume that 'Starting Fluid' for gas engines would be the same thing, right? If so, I've got some in the garage.

As long as I don't tick him off when he gets hit with that spray I should be OK... :nutz

Good suggestion.

Thanks! :tu

10. joel zadvorney

joel zadvorney Senior Refuge Member

I can see it now on funniest home video. Man sprays skunk with starter fluid. Skunk sprays man. Man trips on something, making spark which lights them both up. Skunk seeks refuge on top of mans head. All parties involved run to creek and leap into water. Enter laughter and acceptance of $10,000. :dv