Eliminating a skunk... without getting sprayed

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by WoodieSC, Apr 1, 2005.

1. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

:yes :clap

I wish I had the craziness in me to attempt to film something like that... :no

2. dedduck

dedduck Senior Refuge Member

Now that is some funny S*&# I don't care who ya are..... :yes :clap

3. huntingike

huntingike Refuge Member

I have trapped dozens over the years and never got sprayed. I make box traps out of plywood and only about ten inches tall so they can't raise their tail.On the end, I put 1/2 x 1/2 wire mesh so I can still see in. Simply check the trap and if you have a visitor inside, simply pick it up by a wire carrying handle on the top and carry it away. I have even put them in the back of the truck for their last ride. Then I just open the door, dump out the skunk and shoot him in the center of the back with a shotgun [ have used 410,20,16,and12 ga] to ensure I cut the spine .
    hint : make sure you don't miss at this range of three feet. Doesn't hurt to make sure that you are upwind.

4. Hitman

Hitman Elite Refuge Member

If you ever need to trap a skunk or catch one by accident and are using an open cage trap, follow this procedure to keep from getting sprayed. After you have trapped the skunk, if you want to put it down without it spraying, get a large blanket that you can't see through. Hold the blanket in front of you with your arms out stretched. Make sure that the skunk can't see your legs, only your eyes should be visible above the blanket. Now slowly walk toward the trap, if he starts to raise his tail stop walking and stand still until he lowers his tail again. Continue toward the trap until you are right in front of it, then lower the blanket over the trap to completely cover it. At this point, you can pick up the trap in the blanket and take it any place you want without getting sprayed, provided you keep it covered. Don't worry about the bottom of the trap. Set the trap on a piece of plywood on saw horses or the tail gate of your truck (this should be ready before you cover the trap with a blanket) keeping it covered. Now stand at one end of the trap and slowly pull the blanket off of the trap. When the end of the trap is just starting to show, start pulling a large plastic leaf bag over the trap as you remove the blanket, keeping the trap covered with either the blanket or the bag. Sounds hard but I've done it quite a few times. When you have the trap completely in the bag, seal the end with a twist tie. Now we are ready to put this animal to sleep. With a pencil poke a hole in one side of the bag approximately half way up the side of the trap. Take a can of spray starting fluid (ether) and spray 2 squirts into the hole and seal it with duct tape. After waiting 20 minutes, poke another hole in the bag and put in 3 squirts of fluid and seal this hole. After waiting 30 minutes, poke another hole into the bag and fill the bag with the fluid and seal the hole. In about an hour, you can remove and bury the animal.

5. NE OWL

NE OWL Moderator<br>Pennsylvania Forum<br>Youth Forum

Gee Mike sounds like you have done this a time or two

6. Waterproof

Waterproof Elite Refuge Member

I am really suprised at how Hitman described it. I am suprised he didn't just invite you over to take care of it. I figured you would be safe due to proffesional courtesy. :grvn :l :dv

7. Hitman

Oh Yea!!!!!! I've put more than my share to sleep, been sprayed a few times too :z until I learned this method.

8. NE OWL

NE OWL Moderator<br>Pennsylvania Forum<br>Youth Forum

what exactly is this supposed to mean????

9. NDTerminator

NDTerminator Elite Refuge Member

WoodieSC, a head or lung shot does not prevent a skunk from spraying. I move the trap as others have posted, slowly open the door, let the skunk wander off aways, move upwind, and shoot him. I shot one last October like this, and what's left of it is still stinking about 150 yards west of the house!.... :l

10. Hitman

I have heard that if you shoot a skunk in the middle of the back (spine shot) that it won't spray. You have to work fast once it's dead or it's muscles will relax & release it's juices. Never tried it, I use my ether method, I know it works.