Eliminating a skunk... without getting sprayed

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by WoodieSC, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Bowhunter57

Bowhunter57 Senior Refuge Member

Napalm flamethrowers work great! :dv No skunk, no smell. :yes :tu

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

2. Apache

Apache Refuge Member

Maybe I've just been lucky ... but ... I've shot a few in the head with no adverse affects ... AS YET !!

3. mallard masher

mallard masher Senior Refuge Member

CENTRAL IL, RIVERBOTTOMS, LAND OF THE GIANTS
    A 22-250 FROM 100 YARDS WILL DO THE TRICK JUST FINE :tu

4. Little Spoony

Little Spoony Senior Refuge Member

BOOM!!!
    That'll take care of the bogger! ;)

5. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I kind of like hitman's method, mine for sure didn't work. I bought in to that shoot them in the lungs method, my dad thought that was a great idea, my grandpa told me they couldn't spray if you picked them up by the tail. I think they are both still laughing. I shot one in the head with a high velocity pellet rifle in a subdivision near my home for a friend. The first shot did the trick, so I decided to add a little insurance with a lung shot. You could see the cloud in the dim light of the porch, it burnt a hole in the nice green subdivision grass about 4 feet in diameter that was so bad it had to be resodded.

I've seen a lot of skunk removal guys just do the cage traps with no adverse effects. My brother in law has a 7000 square foot house in a ritsy subdivision, he's had 15 skunks removed over the past 5 years. I guess those buggers like the high life, I'm talking about the skunks, not my in laws.

6. daffyduk

daffyduk Senior Refuge Member

I have lived in rural Oklahoma all my life, and have had many encounters with our redolent friend. I've never gone through all the trouble you guys are describing. Usually, I just shoot them, take a shovel, and flip them into the neighbor's pasture. Yeah, it stinks for a few days, but then it's over.

7. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

If I saw one I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it once it got to the neighbor's woods, but since they only come around occasionally I'm sure not going to camp out to wait for them to stroll through. That's what traps are for.

8. 870Wing

870Wing Senior Refuge Member

Canned sardines with rat poison works really well. They go off and die some where else. The poison also has an ingrediant in it that dries up the animal so that it doesn't smell. At this time of year they are usually nesting, so they'll go back to their hole and die there.

Take care

870Wing

9. 1quacker

1quacker Elite Refuge Member

You guys are making my sides hurt so bad from laughing. Has a skunk come in the garage on good friday while I was working in there and started eating the cat food like it was his own. Three year old kept saying shoot it daddy. Tried to shoot it but it stayed next to the house until it made it under the deck. Week later my wife calls me and asked me when I would be home. The skunk came in the garage at noon and the hunting lab found it. :eek: Dont know how she did it but she didnt get sprayed and killed the skunk. Our garage look like a homicide seen. 4 little ready to be born babys flung around the garage with the liver and guts flung around also. Had blood on the expedition windshield and down the side even. Wife says the skunk is on the backporch because hunter is carrying it around in her mouth like a duck looking for you. Lab did the dirty work for me and the wife even put the dog back in her kennel. :clap :clap

10. NDTerminator

NDTerminator Elite Refuge Member

And you'll be able to use your garage again about this time next year? :l