Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

Elk Hunting ?????

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Brett Buss, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Brett Buss

Brett Buss Refuge Member

Ok,

I have a chance of possibly going Elk Hunting this fall and have a few questions in this regard. While I have hunted deer in the past I mainly am a waterfowl hunter. Im very knowledgable in the hunting of Big Game but that is not where my questions are...

Im looking for info in regards to firearm preference, I own a .270 and am very proficient with it. Is this enough gun for harvesting an Elk? I also have a .50 cal Muzzleloader that I am thinking of taking along if the shot would arise for taking one with that...

Any and all info that you all can share with me and help me out would be Great!

Thanks

2. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

270 is a great elk gun. My wife has hunted with a 270 for about 20 years now. She has killed many elk with it. She shoots a handloaded 140 gr Serria Game King out of it. Put the bullet in the boiler room and it will go down. I've used a 280 for as many or more years and have killed a lot of elk, deer and even a moose. Be comfortable with what you shoot is the most important part of choosing the proper calibur.

3. Brett Buss

Brett Buss Refuge Member

Thanks for the info... I feel very comfortable shooting this gun but have never had the chance to go after anything bigger then a Mule Deer with it and konw that it does the trick for them... What kind of ranges have you and your wife found that your able to take your Elk out to? Again I know a lot has to do with your shooting skills and so on... Didnt know if a longer range shot in the boiler maker would do the trick or a well placed shot in the neck?

Does anyone else have any info or experience with the .270 for Elk Hunting and a bullet that seems to be best for you gun? I know every gun will shoot every bullet differently but at least it might give me some good starting points.

4. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

Me- I like big guns- Having lived/ hunted in AK for 25 yrs and western USA for 20 I prefer something like my 300 Win Mag for elk--you can kill and elk with a 270 but I like that cal for sheep- deer- and goats.- another good cal is the old 30-06 best all around gun made.

5. dillas23

dillas23 Banned

Going to CO again in Oct. My primary gun will be a 7mm mag with 160 gr Accu-bonds, but I will be bringing my 270 with 140 grain Accu-bonds as my back-up. Confidence in both loads and guns is the key. Will be completely comfortable out to 300 yds with either of these guns.

6. Alamosa

Alamosa Elite Refuge Member

7. twdjr

twdjr Elite Refuge Member

You will be fine using your .270. I wouldn't let anyone steer you away from using it on your Elk hunt. I have shot several Bull's with my .270 shooting 130 grain Sierra Boat-tails. All one shot kills. I did try something different one year & shot a Bull using a 140 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullet. The Sierra Boat-tails have always shot the best out of my rifle & would use them tomorrow if I were going on an Elk hunt. There is one bullet that I haven't shot & would like to try & it is the Trophy Bonded Tip bullet. Good luck on your hunt & shoot what you feel the most comfortable in shooting.

8. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

I would say average shot was in the 140 yard range. Longest maybe 250, closest 35 yards. I've never been a neck shot fan. Break down the shoulder and they won't go far.

Good luck and have fun.

9. SteveH

SteveH Senior Refuge Member

Regarding the muzzleloader, the state in which you are hunting may limit your choice of bullet. Colorado requires full bore bullets (no sabots). Good choices are Thors and Hornady FPBs. There a a bunch of other conicals out there that may work in your ML.

10. Waterproof

Waterproof Elite Refuge Member

This statement is only true if you are hunting for elk during muzzleloader season. If you are hunting during rifle season with a muzzleloader you are allowed to shoot sabots at that time. Just an FYI.