Elk Hunting ?????

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Brett Buss, Jun 14, 2010.

1. MN/MTHunting

MN/MTHunting Elite Refuge Member

I've hunted elk for 40 plus years with some success. :tu
    I go with the boiler room behind the shoulders.
    Here's why. You would in most cases get only the near shoulder. MAN! a elk can cover more ground on 3 legs faster in a few minutes then you will cover in a day.
    A well placed shot in the heart/lung area is a easy track, many times wobble a bit and drop on the spot.
    If you do go for the "blast into bone" make sure you have the gun and bullet to do the job, both shoulders.
    Those that go for the vitals just behind the shoulder, for sure a 270 is just fine.

2. JD1983

JD1983 Elite Refuge Member

I'd listen to SeniorCoot. Elk cannot see worth anything. Camo would be way down the list of concerns, especially if you are rifle hunting. Wear stuff you already have.

3. Alamosa

Alamosa Elite Refuge Member

Yup. Wear what you want.
    Elk trust their noses.
    If they see you they will get nervous, but if they smell you - it's over.

4. Brett Buss

Brett Buss Refuge Member

Great info everyone! I truly am gaining a great deal from all of the input. Its helping put things into different priorities and so on...

Another question that I now have is in regards to the use of a Ground Blind like that of the Double Bull? I know that being mobile is in most cases the best but am wondering your thoughts on utilizing a cpl of blinds in areas that have shown to be traffic area's in the past... I am planning on spending a minimum of 2 days prior to the hunt in learning the area and the habits of the Elk. In doing so Im thinking of taking blinds into these areas which might be watering holes etc and setting these blinds up and possibly using them or is one better off to leave the blinds at home and just using cover thats available and just go with that?

5. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

MN/MT hunting hit it on the head-I also go for lungs/heart as i eat all my game and why ruin all that meat??Only beast i shoot for shoulders is big bearsand that's with a big gun.

6. Brett Buss

Brett Buss Refuge Member

Would this be a good choice or option for hunting in the Blk Hills area?

Attached Files:

7. TEAMGTG

TEAMGTG Senior Refuge Member

That looks like one of the ads in the huntin' fool :) Yes Max 1 is a good pattern, but the natgear scII is a shade darker than that, and I think personally it blends just a bit better. The pic in the ad looks exactly like what you'll encounter in the Hills.

On a side note though since elk are apparently blind, you should just get down-wind of them, and sneak within yards for a head shot. Then you'll have no bullet issues to worry about, and no wasted meat!! :l :flame

Give only he who makes head shots the right to speak of wasted meat.

8. MN/MTHunting

MN/MTHunting Elite Refuge Member

Brett, That camo would work most anywhere, good stuff for the Black Hills area.
    Gun hunting you will need some orange.
    Colors in the BH's will pine green, sage [gray green] and grass early hunts will be green and brown later will be brown and those grayish rocks and boulders everywhere.
    Wearing camo during the gun hunt is not a big deal, wear it if you got it.

9. Brett Buss

Brett Buss Refuge Member

Thanks MN/MT,

Im aware of the Orange with rifle hunting... And sometimes think its kind of crazy in some cases as there is never anyone around. I dont have any Max1 yet but kind of like the looks of it and one can never have enough camo can they? Besides ya gotta look good after the hunt for all the pictures right?

I have some Natural Natgear along with some older Realtree camo thats going to be packed along for sure... This area is all new to me and a DIY hunt so I feel that Im never going to be prepared 100% but Im sure I will be... Just kind of like to hear n get input for those that have done this before as I have said Big Game has not been my thing for a bit... Now if it was a Waterfowl hunt I would be 200% ready to go!

Im not one to hunt in a pair of jeans or Carharts, although I know it can be done... Just not how I am I guess.

I have not heard much in regards to the blinds and if they are something worth using and setting up or if they should be left home... Im thinking I may need a trailer already for the things that Im going to have to take and pack?

Thanks again for the info!

10. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

Man you just be glad you ain't going on a horseback or backpack hunt with all the stuff you plan to take--Any decent horse would buck you onto the ground fast!