Elk Hunting ?????

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Brett Buss, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Brett Buss

Brett Buss Refuge Member

Coot, Im not throwing any punches here but am curious as to what you feel that Im over packing for this trip? Here is a little more background on the hunt. This hunt is taking place on a 6900 acre private ranch where myself and another hunting member will have the run of the 8 bedroom 4 bath ranch house, horses atv's and everything else you can imagine. This is going to be 100% DIY. So the way I look at it I dont think that I can ever have or take to much. The horses will allow us to scout the area and place these blinds in certain areas.

Im just trying to gather as much info here that I can from those of you that have done this kind of thing in the past. I know that Im not going to get everything that I need from here and know that I have a lot of homework of my own to do. I am planning on getting out to the area no less then 3 days prior to the hunt to get a feel for the land scout and do my own homework...

Thanks to everyone for the great info that you have shared and hope that you can continue to share and help me out with what you can!

2. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

I wasn't throwing aspragras on your prep-It's just that i make hunting easy- are you are horseman? They can help alot if they know xcountry and are Pack ready. Scouting is good BUT you can also scare elk out of country- Black hills elk are wary guys-as for blind never used one for elk don't think I will- I hunt them in wilderness -again do not over emphisize camo choice-use wind-elevation-terrain etc- i also do not like ATV's for hunting elk except to get to camp. If tyring to be invisible etc don't cook/ eat bacon etc at night or am of hunt or you might stink to elk-In CO i use a cold camp opening day and we camp way hi to be ahead of ATV'ers-heck use info you like discard what you don't.Opinions are like butts-we all have them.

3. MN/MTHunting

MN/MTHunting Elite Refuge Member

Brett, planning and the prep is a huge part of a elk hunt.
    I'm emailing daily to a first time elk hunter from Arkansas. Trailering out 2 mules and a horse to the San Juan Wilderness. He's going in solo. To bow hunt, taking of all of Sept. [what an adventure!!]
    I'm giving him the best possible advice I can. I have gone solo into wilderness areas many times.

For you it's a lot different having a house. Take what you feel you will need.

For the guy going in for a month horseback solo. Every item is chosen carefully.

I have the big game combination license for Montana. So far haven't decided on an elk hunt area, but, I'm working on it.:)
    For sure, it will be on my own. Maybe this time, I will get a horse to haul out the bull.

4. TEAMGTG

TEAMGTG Senior Refuge Member

Brett,
    Take whatever you think you'll need. This hunt will be a learning experience for you, and get you started in the right direction. Sounds like you'll be a bit spoiled in your accomodations compared to most elk camps, but I think it's great you'll get to enjoy the experience!
    Hunting private ground in the hills will probably be one of two ways. Either they have been hunted hard or hardly hunted. All of the ranches we hunt turkeys on in S. Dakota and Wyoming in the hills have elk on them. You can tell which ones get hunted and which ones don't. We've been busted MANY times walking within 1/4 mile of them with the wind in our favor....they are that wary. On the other ranch they are more like cattle because the owner doesn't allow people to hunt them. It hasn't mattered if I've hunted New Mexico, Wyoming, Colorado, Montana or Utah...if they've been shot at, they are automatically more wary unless you happen to catch them in the rut.

5. Brett Buss

Brett Buss Refuge Member

Well I would hope that with nearly 7000 acres that we should be able to find some that have not been pressured. We will be the only ones to have hunted the area for over a yr so I hope that to works in our favor. This is a Private Family run Ranch that family and very few select friends are allowed to hunt. I very much know and look forward to this being a learning experience that may either be a Once in a Lifetime Hunt or something that can turn into a Annual Hunting Trip.

I appriciate any and all information that is being given here a looked forward to hearing and obtaining more. I plan on using this info in helping me deside what I need and dont need to take but until then I plan on taking as much as I can to help me have a successful hunt!

6. JD1983

JD1983 Elite Refuge Member

7,000 acres is not really that big when you are talking about the area an elk will use. Just to give you a better idea, in a study down in Custer State Park, 4 groups of cow elk had Fall home ranges from 5,000 - 16,500 acres. At the same time, we had watched the bull I killed last year come into the same field every day for about a week straight.

If the owner frequently lets people hunt the place or the surrounding areas are public/have more hunting, it'll be tough to find some that have not experienced some hunter pressure. The good news is that it sounds like the ranch you will hunt is going to have hardly anyone on it, meaning that elk might get pushed over to it thinking it is a safe area.

7. Brett Buss

Brett Buss Refuge Member

Anymore info on this guys?

In regards to the Ground Blinds... Is this something worth taking or leaving at home? Thinking of setting these up on watering area's with little cover or feeding/pasture area's.

Your info has been very helpful and look forward to hearing more.

8. TEAMGTG

TEAMGTG Senior Refuge Member

Brett, unless you're hunting a wallow during archery season without the ability to hang a treestand, I just don't think a blind is necessary. What time of the year will you be hunting?? What does the cover on the ranch look like?? If there's an oat hay meadow, or alfalfa meadow on the place, all you'll likely have to do is hope the moon cooperates with you enough that youll be able to catch them coming in and out of a feeding area if not in the rut. On the ranches we hunt turkeys on, they are ALWAYS in the alfalfa or wheat fields or meadows (spring and fall), don't see any reason why they would move very far away from a food source unless terribly pressured, then they will likely go completely nocturnal on you.

9. MN/MTHunting

MN/MTHunting Elite Refuge Member

I don't see anything wrong with trying a ground blind. Why not?
    You could feel free to move, stretch once in a while.
    Setting up in an area that shows good elk sign, not a bad plan.
    One thing about hunting this way. Elk won't feel pressured, maybe stick around the area, and continue their normal activity.

10. Brett Buss

Brett Buss Refuge Member

Team, the season starts the last weekend in Sept. and as far as cover and so on on the ranch I dont know... I have Never hunted this area so this is all new to me so there could be some great cover or there could be none. Im being told that there is a pasture/grassland area but whats around it I couldnt tell you.

MN/MT thats kind of how I feel about maybe taking a blind, will allow us to sit for longer periods of times without having to worry to much about movements as opposed to not being within a blind... I know that we will be gun hunting and not bow hunting so I was just curious if anyone has ever tried this before.

Because of this being on a Private Ranch and it not being a pack hunt Im able to take more along with me without having to worry so much but this being said I dont want to haul an enclosed trail for all the gear either lol So Im just curious if anyone has done this type of hunting for elk with a gun before from a blind on a water hole, feeding area, wallow or whatever the case was... Tree Stands are not an option.