Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

End of a Windsock era!

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by G.B. Jack, May 2, 2006.

1. G.B. Jack

G.B. Jack Elite Refuge Member

From some reports I have been hearing first hand, and the new DU article that came out today, it appears that fullbody snows are the new wave of decoying birds. Now there is motion stakes, so that argument is out the window It started out with bags, then windsocks, than shells, now fullbodies, what next stuffers? I knew it would only be a matter of time!

2. DoubleCluckNY

DoubleCluckNY Elite Refuge Member

Why don't we just skip the process and go straight to a spread of 2000 mounts of real snow geese with motion bases. Start saving your carcasses.:dv ;)

3. goose_caller

goose_caller Elite Refuge Member

What they probably fail to mention is the guys running full body spreads would cost the average Joe over $15,000 to run such a spread(Decoys and BIG trailer). I love full bodies, but there is no way money wise or trailer wise I could ever do a spread of just fullbodies that I would feel comfortable with.....I will always have shells and socks in my spread with full bodies up front.

4. JEDJR

JEDJR Elite Refuge Member

While FB's made a big impact on the snowgoose scene this season, More snows were shot over windsocks this past season, including the C.O.

I agree, FB Snows are about as realistic as you can get besides going to stuffers, and probbaly do well with 150-200 FB's, but as far as cost, transport to and from the field, It surely will not be feasible for most snowgoose hunters.
    I have used Windsocks, shells and FB's and for my use and transport space and time, Windsocks are my only answer.

5. ringnek

ringnek Senior Refuge Member

Go through the posts on this site from the last CO season that include pictures of successfull hunts and you will find windsocks, windsocks, and more windsocks. I'm sure lots of geese were shot over many other types of decoys and am not saying only windsocks work. Just glad I didn't have to carry full bodies into the soaked field we hunted last spring. We only ended up setting 250 windsocks and shot 50 in 2 days. The new thing is how decoys reflect the UV from sunlight and how birds really see decoys. White Tyvek also reflects uv much like the "new " paint products.

6. goose_caller

I am not sure who the article is about, but there was a group of guys this spring that for the most part kept quite that when the video comes out you would wet yourself if you could afford a full body spread. It will make you really wonder if there is any merit to the whole paint UV issue since they did it without that paint and did better then anyone I have ever heard off. Their daily average was nothing short of amazing. I can't wait for the video to come out.:tu

7. Clark Griswald

Clark Griswald Elite Refuge Member

can you tell us who the guys were though.

8. TWEET SD

TWEET SD Elite Refuge Member

I don't know if it's the same group of guys, but I know some people who slaughtered over fullbodies the whole season. It was crazy hearing about some of their hunts. I know others who became convinced that fullbodies are the way to go and the socks are going out the window. It's true that not everybody will be able to hunt over them due to money/transportation/wet field issues, but that's probably a good thing.

9. goose_caller

They kept quite for a reason this season, when they want to come out they will......should make for a good video though.:tu

10. marnus

marnus Senior Refuge Member