Endless whistles

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by marshmob, Jun 8, 2017.

1. 25-ott6

25-ott6 Senior Refuge Member

Very simple I don't run much but I ran a water blind at a akc test and had two whistles and my dog entered the cattails three feet to the left I lost him and he comes out with the bird the judge turns to me and says you'll need a perfect last series your dog was loose at the end I was like ok your kind of right. Just before me a female pro ran a dog had 7 cast refusals and 4 other handles her dog entered 15 to 20 feet to the left and ran the bank grabbed it and when she walked off the line he said great job. I was like what you have to be kidding me. I asked another judge what the heck and he said, you have one dog they have many who puts more money in there pocket..I did pass but haven't run one scene.

2. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

and then this!
    :reader

I'd have been steamed.....even more so with the second judge. :z

Neither are anywhere near the norm. :scratch

3. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Who were the Judges?

4. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Ride his horse up to and over a dog on point, the worst thing a competitor can do.

5. 25-ott6

25-ott6 Senior Refuge Member

Just so were straight the second judge was talked to days later and was not there. I would never throw anyone under the bus sorry.

6. professor

professor Elite Refuge Member

You are right about handling on two marks not being in the rule book. There are 2 different kinds of handles, handling to the area of the fall (HTA) and handling in the area of the fall (HIA). It is possible to have several handles as long as only one was HTA. A handle to the area means the dog didn't mark the bird. There are 6 marks in a Finished test; 2 HTA's means the dog only marked 4 of the 6 birds which is a 60% marking rate. From school, everyone knows 60% equals an "F". That's where the 2 handle policy comes in.
    There is no set rule of cast and whistle refusals either, but 3 seems to be the norm in Finished, especially if there are 3 in a row.

Doc E and Keith S. like this.
  7. Scooter's Dad

Scooter's Dad Refuge Member

Mkay- stupit question. If the dog is in the area of the fall- why in the wide world of sports would you handle?

Just axing regards

Bubba

8. FieldLabLover

FieldLabLover Elite Refuge Member

My thoughts also.

9. crackerd

crackerd Elite Refuge Member

While we're talking about the wide world of sporting asininity, let's not forget the original premise of this thread: That a professional trainer blew 4 to 6 whistles for every mark (and blind) for every dog he ran at a finished level hunt test. And then, when the dogs wouldn't stop to the whistle, with Scottie's help of course, the pro trainer beamed them back to his dog truck and they were never seen again except on the USS Enterprise's holo deck program for fabulist retriever tales...

MG

10. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

did what?