Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Entry into Canada for waterfowl hunt

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by captbil2003, Oct 13, 2016.

1. captbil2003

captbil2003 Refuge Member

Saw on the refuge a while back info about entering Canada with prior dui . Group is planning hunt for next year, one of the young members had a driving after consuming alcohol illegally charge 5 yrs ago. He jumped through the hoops, no problems since. How can we check to see if he will be allowed in?
    Thanks

2. Duckrussml

Duckrussml Senior Refuge Member

Honestly not being a smartass here... But I'd apply for a gun permit online thru customer at either airport (Regina or Saskatoon). Just Fax and give them a accurate Flight # Airline name Time of arrival c/c# and Non-Resident Firearm Declaration all filled out from the Net. It ask for Driver's Lic and or Passport #... For Only $25.... Doesn't matter if you show or not.... It's only good for 60-days. Do it now get it over with. I'm sure that will answer the question. If he is denied bad answer... They Know of his DUI...

3. captbil2003

4. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Don't know that the gun deal will cause it to be caught. Normally you are detained at customs prior to turning in the firearms declaration. I'd suggest contacting customs. I'd try to contact them at your point of entry if possible. Probably not be the case here, but individual officials actually have leeway in certain situations.

5. Slick

Slick Senior Refuge Member

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you will be denied entry into Canada if you have had a DUI in the past 10 years. Google and you will find the terms of entry/non-entry into Canada if you are a non-resident alien w/ a DUI conviction. It is remotely possible you could get in because the border agent does not feel like running your license # thru the computer, which is rare. Oh sure you could gamble and take a chance but do you really want to show up at customs whether driving or flying and be denied entry?

Also, check out the non-resident alien temporary entry/residence permit....it's good for 2 yrs and renewable. Start now because it could take up to 6 mos to be processed

6. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

That's the key part. It is possible to get in, but you have to get ahead of the deal and also spend some money. I've seen people who were prepared get right through, and I've seen people put back on the plane they'd just arrived on and sent back to the US. There's no talking your way through it. The way you described it in the OP though left doubt it was a DUI. Sounded more like an underage drinking deal and it was complicated by driving but not over the limit like DUI.

7. captbil2003

Wasn't a dui, minor charged with driving after consuming alcohol illegally

8. no harm-no fowl

no harm-no fowl Senior Refuge Member

If he was under 18 at the time, the records should be sealed when he turned 18. Juv records.

9. TonyH

TonyH Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I wouldnt even try to enter until the 10 years have passed unless you have went through the process of getting prior approval. Minor or Not I am sure canada can see the records. Maybe not but not a chance I would want to take. Know a guy who got dui and then dropped to wreckless op and he cannot even get into canada because if it. dont matter. dui on record your not gaining entrance without jumping through the proper hoops an channels.

10. skywatcher1

skywatcher1 Elite Refuge Member

But yet let how many Refugees enter?

captbil2003 likes this.