Epic Run-ins with Our Wardens

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Gomer, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Gomer

Gomer Elite Refuge Member

The alligator caper post got me thinking... Let's hear those stories about your interactions with game wardens in CA or other states.

I'm sure there is some epicness out there. :l

Gomer

2. Baker Man

Baker Man Refuge Member

3. Artois

Artois Elite Refuge Member

Nothing but positive experiences for me. But then I respect authority and the job law enforcement does.

4. Farres

Farres Senior Refuge Member

No issues and nothing but positive experiences for me in over 35 years time spent in the field or on the water.

5. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

My experiences have always been positive even the time when I was a teen (more than a few years ago) when we got checked and my license was sitting in my truck about 3 miles away. He drove me up to the house, showed him my license, he said hop in, drove me back to where the rest of the family was hunting, dropped me off and was about his way. He could have cited me but he didn't. Today I think I get that ticket but things were different circa 1981.

6. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

Fed warden at kern early opener three seasons ago. Threatened to shoot my buddies non aggressive 11 year old deaf chocolate lab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Bunkhouse

Bunkhouse Elite Refuge Member

and hunted the Delta in the late 50's and early 60's, but there was a warden on the river back then that created a stir. He had an open aluminum boat with a big black Lab on the front as he cruised up and down the river. It was funny because when he wanted to check you he would all of a sudden turn and head straight for you and actually ram your boat before announcing his intentions. He acted like he was surprising you and everyone on the river knew who he was and what he would do. We would laugh and give the info and away he would go to "surprise" someone else.

8. thekillerofmallard

thekillerofmallard Elite Refuge Member

had a few none real bad. had one sneak up on me while I was steelhead fishing and hid in the brush until in came out of the river. We yak a bit walk back to my truck he was park next to me. Just before I left he ask to see my license I show it to him on we go. Next day I'm fishing the same hole hook a fish he comes out the brush again and helps me land the fish. We yak again this time he ask to see my license right there no problem. Fast forward one month I'm cat fishing during a big rain at the local lake. I see him pull up and walk down the side of the hill. He said I recognized your truck I knew it was you how's the fishing. I showed him the cat's I had he asked to see my license AGAIN I go really it's pouring down and I have bibs on without side openings. Ahhh off goes the coat down go the bibs take out my wallet and show him my license. I ask him if I didn't happen to have them on me would you write me up. He said that's my job::doh

most know what happen two yrs ago where I'll never talk to a warden again. Except to answer direct question.:mad:

9. Brottboss

Brottboss Elite Refuge Member

Hiked into the backcountry of Nevada a few years back for mule deer. Hiked in Sunday, and planned to head out Thursday. Brutally hot. Killed a nice buck on Tuesday, boned him out, and was packing him out. Hiked the 5miles out, with 120# on my back, and was plum tuckered when I reached base camp. I was absolutley beat, when a white truck pulled up. He asked if I scored, I said yes. He walked over to my pack, lifted it up, and asked if my whole deer was inside? I replied it was. He said, it looks like you've gotten every strip of meat of that buck. He walked over, shook my hand, and said, you're welcome to hunt in Nevada any day! His name was Roo, and he was a very nice guy. Not overbearing and treated me with respect. Likewise.

10. ducslayer

ducslayer Elite Refuge Member

I was hunting opening day in Montezuma Slough in the 70s right next to Grizzly IL and had a warden ask if my buddy and I would give him a ride across the river to talk to a couple of kids who shot before legal shoot time. He stood in the bow of the boat like Washington crossing the Delaware. When we were close to the young guys boat he leaps out towards the bank and falls into the slough and goes completely under, bobs up to the surface and is really pi$$ed. We helped him back into our boat and he had the kids follow us to the other side. I don't know if the kids received a citation or not. We only made it to around the next bend in the river before we lost control laughing so hard we had to stop the boat for a few minutes. :yes