Err 01 Lens issues

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by boykinsbuddy, Jan 14, 2017.

1. boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy Elite Refuge Member

Was shooting my Canon 24-105...my favorite walk around go-to today on an upland hunt and it suddenly quit focusing and locked the body up giving me an Err 01 notice. I could shut the camera down, replace the battery, etc and it would initially act like it was going to work only to find it would shoot one or two shots and then lock up again. I Pulled the lens off and took a clean micro fiber cloth and rubbed the heck out of the contacts with no luck. Not initially knowing what Err 01 was, I figured it was the body. Luckily someone in the gang had a little Rebel in their truck they weren't using so I pulled the lens and put it on their body. Within a few shots, it gave me the same Err, but it said what it was on the back LCD..."bad contact connections with the body and lens, clean the lens contacts". Well I tried that again with no luck.
    So now I'm at home and I clean the contacts with a bit of ethyl alcohol on a micro fiber cloth...and again initially the lens worked for a few quick bursts and then it just quit focusing and firing. I can hear the IS working in it, but it doesn't focus. So I guess it is time to send the lens back to Canon for cleaning and checking out. Anyone else have similar issues and what was the fix?

2. boykinsbuddy

3. huntersdad

huntersdad Elite Refuge Member

You might consider just replacing it, depending on the cost of the repair. These are dirt cheap and the new one will make them cheaper. The new version is nice BTW.

4. boykinsbuddy

I went and bought a 18-135 EF-S SMT for the time being. It was cheaper than the repair. Just got it in time for an upland hunt this morning...we'll see how it does.
    Baydog told me about a neat little fix though on the Err 01...set the camera to single shot and run the lens up to the tightest F-stop it can go to...take a single shot, then open it up a stop, take a shot, open it up, take a shot...all the way till it is wide open...and then see if it works. That process somehow reprograms the lens. Well...it did wake my lens back up, so I'll see if it stays awake. It sure has been a battle axe for me, so it has earned it's worth over the ten or so years I've had it.

5. huntersdad

huntersdad Elite Refuge Member

Good deal.

6. boykinsbuddy

Follow-up after the hunt/shoot...
    The F-stop fix did not work once I got in the field and really started moving the camera around. Tried it also on another camera body and it shot a dozen or so shots as soon as it was put on but as soon as the camera was moved a bit it locked up.
    The EF-S 18-135 SMT is an OK lens...it ain't no L glass though! Checking a bunch of reviews, the lens comes with very high recommendations for a crop body. Some reviews actually rate it as the best walk-around lens made for the Canon crops. It has absolutely silent focus...so silent you actually wonder if it is working. It was designed with this silent motor for shooting video. Initial impressions are that it is very fast focusing, but after shooting L glass, you quickly realize it is no where close to the same focusing speed and I found the lens to hunt several times. When I shoot my upland hunts, I really like to shoot through cover on the pointing dog using the spot focus. With L glass this usually isn't a problem. With this lens, I found it usually locked on the closest brush to the dog...it wouldn't focus through the brush. Also tried to do some close macros on some misty spider webs and I could tell the lens just wouldn't quite get there. The final images do sharpen up fine for web work, but I don't think it will do for magazine shots. I think I'll play around with some of the focus adjustments at some point and at the very least, this lens will definitely serve as a backup to some sort of L-glass be it a repaired 24-105 or something else. I have my eye on my daughter's broken 24-70 f2.8 L. If I can snag it, it will take a little trip to Canon for repairs along with the other lens.