Alabama Flyway Forum Sponsors

Eufaula NWR Hunts??????????

Discussion in 'Alabama Flyway Forum' started by Beretta686, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Beretta686

Beretta686 Senior Refuge Member

Haven't seen anyone post about the hunts at Eufaula. I read on one forum they were killin a couple of limits on the Bama side of Woodrows, Mallards and Gads.

Anyone hunted or heard?

I was drawn for the December 31 hunt this season.

2. Rick618

Rick618 Elite Refuge Member

I heard they have this hot blind, its called the Moccasin and it'll hold atleast 6-8 guys :p

Maybe you'll get to watch someone else shoot another banded wood duck this year? :eek:

Really, good luck when you go, I'll be thinking about ya while in AR.

3. JT in BAMA

JT in BAMA Refuge Member

If you get your limit of woodies......you'll be lucky:rolleyes:

JT

4. OG

OG New Member

Can any of you guys point me in the right direction for some info bird hunting on Lake Eufala? I hunt Lake Seminole quite often and we were thinking about making a road trip there after Christmas. Chage of scenery, get away from the old lady for a couple of days, etc..

Any info is much appreciated.

5. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

OG, Im pretty sure the hunting on Eufaula is done by a blind drawing.

6. oltcutdown

oltcutdown Elite Refuge Member

Maybe wrong, but I think the drawing was in October or September.

7. Rick618

Rick618 Elite Refuge Member

As I understand there is the drawing as olt mentioned where they send out the dates to the winners of the Wed or Sat (depending on the year) that they can hunt and then there is the day of where they let the spots go of those that are no shows.

8. Huntingdawg

Huntingdawg Refuge Member

OG,

You can hunt the lake, but must be outside of the refuge area, so you need a good map and time to scout.

As far as the Quota hunts go, if everyone doesn't show up who pre-paid from October drawing, then you can go as a stand by on the day they have the hunt. Also, some people are drawn but don't send in their money, thus leaving an open blind. I would suggest you call the Eufaula NWR office and find out how many blinds are open due to folks not pre-paying, then add maybe a spot or two for folks who pre-paid but don't show up. Of course stand-by hunters will draw last from the available blinds, so you already have odds against you. I hunted the GA side this past weekend and we unfortunately drew the last pick on pre-paid blinds and only ended up with 1 GWT. Usually there will be 3 or 4 good blinds, 3 or 4 avg. blinds, then the remaining or hit and miss. We saw a fair number of teal and woodies, plus a few gadwall and mallards.

9. kontekontos

kontekontos Elite Refuge Member

The bama side is not doing that good this year. The 2 times i have hunted it there was 37 birds killed one time and this past week only 19 birds killed. most blinds either killed 1 or 2 birds only. i think the high blind was like 5 birds.

konte

10. GA_LAB

GA_LAB Elite Refuge Member

Hunted the GA side this past Saturday. Woodies everywhere, or so it seemed when legal time hit.:sp Dang boys were unloading like they owned stock in HeviShot:l . Saw a few gadwalls and some divers, one teal. I was unfortunate in the draw and thus drew a bad blind. Get along the river for the best opportunites and good luck