Euro doves, etc

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by ALLSTAR 1, Jan 6, 2014.

1. ALLSTAR 1

ALLSTAR 1 Elite Refuge Member

The last few years has seen an expansion of euro doves, whitewings etc. across the U.S> will the cold weather kill most of them in areas they have populated? They don't migrate I believe, as we understand it.

2. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

They are hearty. 17 below up on the river northeast of town this am, still Eurasians around.

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Nope. They are still around our area, and it has been -20 in the past few weeks. It was 5 degrees today, and I saw some going through town.

Consider them like small pigeons.

4. One_Duck_Limit

One_Duck_Limit Senior Refuge Member

Local Pheasant club had Eurasians all over it. Owner complaining about how much feed they were eating. In Utah they aren't protected. Shoot as many as you want anytime of the year.

5. JDK

JDK Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

same in Nevada, :tu

6. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

We are too stupid in California to have an unrestricted season on them... We can shoot them during the normal dove season in unrestricted numbers, but cannot shoot them outside of the dove season...

I see them referred to as colonies, and although those colonies will leave an area (say due to shooting pressure), they are not migratory... Good luck finding a place outside of town to shoot them. The vast majority we kill are in the dairies, but I am seeing them take over nesting areas in town where historically mourning dove were nesting.

If there is food available, I imagine they will survive. If pigeons can survive, I would imagine these Euro's will too.

They seem to have a niche somewhere between a mourning dove and a pigeon... Anywhere with processed grain (such as silos or dairies), almond hulling plants, and almond orchards (that have been shaken) are all areas where we see them... Anywhere that has both mourning dove and pigeons will likely have Euro's as well... I'd be curious to know what they are eating in town, but that is where I see the majority of these birds.

Between Euro's, doves, and pigeons, Euro's are the easiest target, but they are tough to bring down (compared to mourning doves)... For their size, pigeons are the hardest birds to bring down in my opinion...