Evaporation

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Drakes Landing, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Uncle.Lou

Uncle.Lou Senior Refuge Member

I have the same problem, when I can fill my MSM area. I now use sand bags on over flow ends of the dike. If I get good fall rain,and pump a little. I can add 2” more water to help with the 7-10 days of absorption.

2. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

Jzoo, talk more about disking and packing before putting water on. I found a small rat hole where we are losing a little water. We repaired that area of our levee a couple years ago as it was much worse. We have knocked the heck out if the rats but just never ends it seems.

3. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

Water is up and birds are in. Looking forward to opener this coming Saturday!!!! 20171028_173805.jpg

4. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Senior Refuge Member

Not trying to be a smart elec, but do you realize you're setting yourself up for a potential blow out of your dike? The overflow ends (spillway) are designed to carry excess water in the event there is more rainfall than your pipe can carry. With the spillway blocked, the only place water has to go is over the top of the structure.

5. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

Every couple of years, we have the lake packed by an excavation company. We wait until we get a .5" - 1" rain in august or september, then disk the entire lake. Immediately after we are done the wheel scraper comes in and picks up a load of dirt and drives around the lake until it is entirely packed by the tires. The scraper loaded weighs about 120,000lbs and takes him 4 hours to pack about 15 acres.

When we find a true sink hole in the bottom of the lake, we dig it out with an excavator and repack it in with additional dirt and potentially some bentonite on top. Also I pm'd you.

6. Old Critter

Old Critter New Member

For what it's worth, I agree with Porter. An overflow is designed to protect your levees from a washout. I don't monkey with mine. Just saying ...

7. Uncle.Lou

Uncle.Lou Senior Refuge Member

You are 100% correct, I only put sand bags on the over flow, on my small intermediate dike.

8. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Good luck tomorrow, looking good!