Virginia Flyway Forum Sponsors

Everyone ready...

Discussion in 'Virginia Flyway Forum' started by Little Ruddy, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

To go this week? Should be a better than average mid season based on reports I am getting. Lots of birds moving through daily. Hope everyone gets out and don't do nothing stupid water is getting colder now!

2. skimerhorn

skimerhorn Refuge Member

Ready as I'm gonna get. Can' get out till Sat it I'll be there with eyes to the sky

3. imaduckin up north

imaduckin up north Senior Refuge Member

Ill swing by dicks sporting goods for a duck report, but not to hopeful

4. SAXIS ISLANDER

SAXIS ISLANDER Elite Refuge Member

I may go poke around on Sunday.

5. Deadrise

Deadrise Senior Refuge Member

We are there and pumped. Good to poor forecasts for individual hunt sites. I’ve seen dabbling ducks and a few ringers in the lead up. Just as excited as as a teenager. Eggs and bacon here at the house and a quick armed reconnaissance on the marsh to see what’s going on.

6. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Haven't had a chance to scout. Riding over the 14th street bridge this AM into DC, lots of ducks in the sky. Singles, pairs, 3's. I'd say about 10 sets of birds in the short time of zooming over the bridge. The rowing guys must have kicked them up some. Didn't see any duck boats tied to the bridge though.

7. Deadrise

Deadrise Senior Refuge Member

Went this morning. A neighbor deer hunted yesterday and called to report a nice jag of Black ducks in the creek. Long story short, they didn’t show, we didn’t shoot and another season opener is in the books.

8. imaduckin up north

imaduckin up north Senior Refuge Member

My brother hunted Lake chesdin and said some guy in a really really big boat pulled up put up five Mojo's and tossed out about 100 decoys and proceeded to Sky bust anything at a hundred yards including a goose that was coming to my brother. There is no place in Virginia where you need five Mojos and a 100 decoys

9. Duckrussml

Duckrussml Senior Refuge Member

My past experiences with Mojos are GEESE HATE THEM!!!!! Plus VA ducks aren't to fond of them in open water. Swamps with trees all around ok. But for geese duck combo hunt. Noway!!! The geese will come till about 100 yards out then skirt your rig and leave. Most likely why they are skybusting... They don't know the are just FRUSTRATING THEIR OWN HUNT TOO!!!!

10. DtSB

DtSB Senior Refuge Member

I frequently use 100 decoys, with about 80 of them being goose decoys, over water. But no spinners. Well, sometimes if hunting with a bunch of guns we will run several spinners but only with remotes. Mostly to turn ducks.

And after doing this for a few years, I find that just about any place I can deploy all of them is a good place to do so.

Im working on rigging up 30 more goose decoys for this season, so it’ll be at least 100 goose decoys and then a bunch of motion duck decoys.