Evolved Harvest Maximize?

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Trophyduck, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Trophyduck

Trophyduck Elite Refuge Member

Anyone ever try planting this? How was it? (any tips appreciated as I'm new to all this)
    I thought this may be a good choice because of the variety.....

2. hhpage

hhpage Senior Refuge Member

I'm not familiar with that particular blend, so I looked it up on the internet. As with most of the commercial seed blends that are marketed to hunters, it looks over-priced to me. It contains forage soybeans, cowpeas, sorghum, and sunflowers.

I have experimented with lots of seed blends and concluded that, in most cases, you are better off to make adjacent plantings of single species. It is almost impossible to manage weeds effectively in seed blends and each component to a blend typically has different nutrient requirements.

To be specific to the mix you asked about, sorghum is a grass, cowpeas and soybeans are legumes, and sunflowers are a broadleaf composite (I think, not a botanist). There is no herbicide that I am aware of that you could use to control weeds in this mix without taking out at least one of the other components. Without weed control, you will almost certainly be disappointed in your results. In addition, if you are in an area with a good deer population, you can almost count on the deer eating all of the soybeans and cowpeas immediately after germination. They may also chomp the sunflowers. You will likely end up with a sparse stand of sorghum and weeds.

The one caveat to blends, in my experience, is using a fall blend of small grains and clover for winter food plots. I typically buy the components separately and blend them myself; it is much cheaper that way.

3. Trophyduck

Trophyduck Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the input!!