Excellent Way to Fix That Tough Old Goose

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by Doc E, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I shot a big OLD Greater on our (WA) short "early goose" season.
    It was certainly going to be too tough to roast, so we boned it out and ran it through the grinder to make GooseBurger. Then mixed it with an equal amount of (Australian) Kobe beef burger (probably any high fat content hamburger would work just fine).
    Press into oblong patties an inch thick or so.
    Cook it just like Chicken Fried Steak (dip in beaten egg, coat in whatever you like -- bread crumbs, cracker crumbs, ground oatmeal oats etc)
    Pan fry it to medium or medium rare and serve it with "chicken fried steak" gravy.
    this is probably the best tasting meat of any kind that I've ever eaten.

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Well, yea, kobe beef and most anything is good.

I still say the best 'secret' is baking soda. Cube up your meat, 3/4" or smaller, and soak in water with about 4 TB of baking soda. Let sit for 15-25 minutes. Drain and rinse well. Cook as you will. I flour and fry over a very hot pan. I make a sauce of rice wine vinegar, fish sauce, oyster sauce and sesame oil. A little goes a long way.

You can cut those cubes with a fork.

3. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch Senior Refuge Member

Grind it up and don't mix it with anything at all, despite looking lean it has plenty of moisture. Best burger you will ever eat! Use it in any recipe calling for ground beef. Turned many goose/wild game haters into lovers with it. :tu

4. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

It's not about the moisture, it's about the fat. Fat brings out the flavor, thus the burger.

5. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch Senior Refuge Member

Trust me, just try a batch of pure goose. You will be amazed! Im not sure how grinding meat up can completely alter its flavor but in this case it does.

6. BANDMAN

BANDMAN Refuge Member

I have taken some Giant birds and just sliced the breast and simply fried it in butter with a good amount of garlic salt and it was as good as any deer I have ever ate.

7. sargenv

sargenv New Member

For the legs, I like to gather as many as I can together.. maybe over the course of the season, and if the birds have any fat.. I render as much of that as I can, and do the goose legs as confit.. or "simmered in fat". If I don't have enough duck/goose fat, I simply use pomace olive oil. Any good duck confit recipe will work for goose legs.