Exclusive Duck Clubs

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by RuddyDuks, May 10, 2003.

1. Spec

Spec Gold Refuge Member

I enjoyed my hunt there this year (Mallard PONDs)and getting to sign the wall was a special treat took me over a hour to read all the names on it!!LOL!! Can't wait till next year I should be able to walk alot better!! I remember a trip a few years back going to the old no name club in the SS marsh were we sunk a boat early one morning I will have to tell you that story! I was in the boat and got real wet!!!

2. dood

dood Elite Refuge Member

I have been fortunate to be a guest on the Fat Hen/Shell Drake Club in the Suisun Marsh and the Grizzly Island Club in Grizzly Island.

Both these clubs are amazing. Very few hunters. Huge club houses. Breakfast. Everything and of course the boat ride out to the blind.

3. deadeye10

deadeye10 Senior Refuge Member

Hey Mike,

Just FYI. Charles Schwab is not the primary owner of Stack's. There are three other owners besides him. He is a fun guy to hunt with.

Steve

4. Michael

Michael Elite Refuge Member

Hey RumPot,

thanks for bringing this thread back up, I somehow missed it on the first go around, but sure enjoyed it this time. It is definitly the best read I have had around here for awile.

Mike and other, thanks for all of the great info!!

5. RuddyDuks

RuddyDuks Elite Refuge Member

6. mikei

mikei Elite Refuge Member

Great thread! I've been fortunate to hunt quite a few of the clubs previously mentioned as a guest at one time or another.

I would have to say that the sink is hands down the best. I'm not talking about just how many birds you can stack in the blind, but the overall quality of the hunt.

The boat ride out is always great; winding through the tule channels with all sorts of ducks flying every which way overhead. The natural marsh setting is awesome. Throw in a fiery sunrise underlighting those thin cirrus clouds with the buttes as a back drop.....an awesome experience.

Hey Mike, I have a question for you. I hunt often at a club that border's the saddleback. Where are all those birds going that are flying south every morning? I know there is some land south of the Hwy 65/70 split that holds birds (east of Hwy 70). I have always wondered that...

7. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Great post thread, guys.

The last year I was down in CA we had a lease a couple of clubs down from the Stone Creek. The caretaker at Stone Creek used to pluck our ducks for $1 / each, so on the lazy days when we did not want to do it ourself we would take our birds over. Once, we toured the clubhouse, which had a neat great room, big screen TV and bar plus many bedrooms. The caretakers provided meals for members from the huge kitchen.

To get out to the thousands of acres of land and many blinds, the caretaker ran an hourly shuttle from the clubhouse in a van that had gun racks, etc., built into it.

Once or twice a year I hunt with my buddies at their clubs in OR or CA. It sure is nice popping out of the trailer an hour before shoot time, popping lids off the YC blinds and shooting.

Up in Idaho, we've got all the free hunting you would want, but it entails middle of the night arrival at the boat ramp and put and take decoy spreads.

Whether it is a high dollar lease or public hunting at a quality spot, it's all good.

8. Mike Riley

Mike Riley Banned

Steve,
    I think there are only 3 guys total in Stacks.

Kurt & RuddyDuks,
    I remember my Grandfather telling me the stories about hunting Tule prior to WWII. The whole town was about duck and goose hunting in those days. Seven day a week non-stop throughout the entire season. There was the older buildings in town, but there was also a "tent city" full of out of towners - most came with pockets full of money by train. The town transformed during hunting season, services came in form out of area to supply the hunters. And yes the oldest service industry in the world was well represented. The pictures Grandpa had of ducks and geese hanging were unbelievable. After last season in the Basin - unfortunately even more unbelievable. Lets cross our fingers and toes and hope the new manager improves things GREATLY.

9. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

Amen to that Mike!:D Hopefully there will be some changes for the positive. Have you heard any news regarding LK/Tule???????

10. deadeye10

deadeye10 Senior Refuge Member

No Mike, there are four guys total. I hunted with Schwab once. Only know him in passing. But I know the other three guys very well.

Steve