Expanded hunting on national refuges

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Lou Ureneck, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Lou Ureneck

Lou Ureneck Refuge Member

Grouse hunting in New England is something special. I've done a lot of it -- or at least did up to about 20 years ago when work pulled me away to other parts of this great country. I hunted Maine, especially -- overgrown apple orchards, classic covers of old farmland grown up to alders. I had Brittany spaniels in those years. We had a lot of fun together. Nothing like a Maine morning in October.

fishnfool and widgeon like this.
  2. Lou Ureneck

As a former journalist, I applaud skepticism in the evaluation of claims by public officials but this article, I think, is more cynical than skeptical. Or at least that's my impression. For example, it makes the claim that the 1.4 million acres is too broad because only two refuges that have been closed will be open. But that's too narrow a way to evaluate the claim, or so it seems to me. For example, at the refuge were I hunt, significant new acreage is being open to hunting. Yes, hunting has been allowed in the refuge, but it was limited -- too much so, in my view. This added acreage is a very good thing and makes the refuge a much more appealing destination. Another point -- I do think that overly complex regulations (along with costly fees) have discourage young people from hunting. There seems to a legitimate effort here to loosen things up a bit. Just my opinion.

The_Duck_Master and widgeon like this.
  3. Ruination

Ruination Senior Refuge Member

Personally I would rather Biologists manage the parks, but that's just me.

4. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

So you want them closed?

Ask the guys in Delaware what happens when things start to swing too far in a direction. Too fantastic Refuges have gone to junk, both as a place to hunt but also as places of refuge do to much meddling, lack of funding.

There are a lot of great biologists out there, but within that community there are many lines of division about conservation, use, and allowable take.

5. Lou Ureneck

Biologists' views are important -- very important. Our management of game should be based on good science. But ultimately, values come into the equation -- and that's beyond the scope of biology. It then becomes a matter of public choices. So, my friends, we need to respect and honor the work of biologists, but in the end make the best public policy decisions we can -- based on both science and our values and priorities. As far as I can tell, the US has the best management of wildlife resources in the world -- and I've traveled broadly.

6. Lou Ureneck

I just received a response from the folks who manage the website for placing comments on proposed federal rules. They said the proposal has not yet been put up for comments but they will let me know when it is. When I hear from them, I will share the link so others who support the expanded hunting acreage can post their comments.